Why become a member? ×

Help - Mixing speaker configs (ie 1x15 with 4x10)

nickhuge

Hi All

I'm geting a Markbass Traveller 1x15 and being a dumb guitarist clueless with bass I have been told I am being naive thinking for bigger shows I can pair it with Markbass 4x10 (even though on the markbass site it says its been redesigned so it stacks with the standard cabs). Is there anything other than another matching cab I can pair it up with? Perhaps a 2x10 102P? What's best?

Hope you can help

ps, it's being fed by an ampeg SVT III Pro

[quote name='nickhuge' timestamp='1327593196' post='1513924']
Hi All

I'm geting a Markbass Traveller 1x15 and being a dumb guitarist clueless with bass I have been told I am being naive thinking for bigger shows I can pair it with Markbass 4x10 (even though on the markbass site it says its been redesigned so it stacks with the standard cabs). Is there anything other than another matching cab I can pair it up with? Perhaps a 2x10 102P? What's best?

Hope you can help

ps, it's being fed by an ampeg SVT III Pro
[/quote]You can pair it with anything so long as the amp will handle the impedance load. Most of the time you'll get best results with another identical speaker.

So the Mark bass is as below

IMPEDANCE
8 ohms
SPEAKER SIZE
1x15 in.
TWEETER
piezo
BASS PORT
rear
POWER HANDLING
400W RMS (AES Standard)
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
3.5 kHz
FREQUENCY RESPONSE
40 Hz to 18 kHz
SENSITIVITY
100 dB SPL
WEIGHT
44.75 lbs / 20.3 kg
HEIGHT
18.3 in. / 46.4 cm
WIDTH
23.39 in. / 59.4 cm
DEPTH
17.05 in. / 43.3 cm

The Ampeg is rated at 500W. What do I need to get in terms of specs for a suitable pairing? Another 8ohm, but what power handling?

Putting out the full 500 watts, you`ll get 250 to each cab. So whichever cab you get, so long as it handles 250 watts you get you should be fine - prob best to not use it on it`s own though, think the 3PRO knocks out about 350ish at 8 ohms..

[quote name='nickhuge' timestamp='1327597457' post='1514021']

The Ampeg is rated at 500W. What do I need to get in terms of specs for a suitable pairing? Another 8ohm, but what power handling?
[/quote]Power ratings are meaningless. What matters is impedance, displacement and phase response. For equal power into both cabs they must be the same impedance. For equal ability to use that power both cabs must have the same driver displacement. For the same phase response they must be identical drivers. With identical cabs you get all of the above, with mis-matched cabs the best you're likley to realize is equal impedance.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1327597757' post='1514025']
Putting out the full 500 watts, you`ll get 250 to each cab. So whichever cab you get, so long as it handles 250 watts you get you should be fine - prob best to not use it on it`s own though, think the 3PRO knocks out about 350ish at 8 ohms..
[/quote]

Ah :( I only have this.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1327598115' post='1514030']
[size=4]Why are you getting the Traveller 15? I'd start with the 410 and add a 210 to that if you need extra volume.[/size]
[/quote]
On this I kinda agree. I'd get to a shoppe & try out some cabs & buy 2 identical ones (if you can afford it). So if you go for the 15, get another 15. If you go for the 2x10, get another 2x10. & so on.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1327597757' post='1514025']
[/quote]
[quote name='nickhuge' timestamp='1327599676' post='1514062']
Ah :( I only have this.
[/quote]

So with one 8 Ohm cab you`ll get the 350 watts, but two 8 ohm cabs together will get you the full 500 watts, as the amp knocks out 500 at 4 ohms.

[quote name='nickhuge' timestamp='1327600588' post='1514083']
Its interesting that on the markbass site it says
"This cabinet was redesigned in Spring 2007, and now stacks perfectly with all Standard series cabinets."
If it's a bad idea, why redesign it?
[/quote]Manufacturers build what sells, what sells is cabs sized so that they stack nice and pretty. How they sound together is not a consideration. Looks is what sells cabs.
As for the issue of watts: moot. Watts have very little to do with how loud a rig will go. Why is nicely spelled out at the Barefaced Bass site.

Many many bassists are very happy with the sound they get from mixing 10s and 15s.
However, if you are buying new, you may as well go with the orthodox view that same size drivers are best.
A 410 and a 210 will give you great flexibility between a 210,410 and a 610 for all size venues and car boots.

You are using a Sansamp through the PA? If so the only real function of the cab(s) you are buying is for you and possibly the rest of the band to hear the bass. The audience will hear you through the PA. If you have decent monitors you don't need a bass amp at all strictly speaking. In fact the bass amp/speaker is your monitor.

Why do you want a second cab? If the ratings are right (big if) then this one cab will go to just about 126dB (probably excursion limited at the very bottom end) more than enough to drown out the drums or to damage your hearing. Even with 40dB dynamic range you can maintain an average sound level of well over 100dB.

One speaker will be more than enough and if you spend more on it because you are saving on a second cab you will be able to major on quality rather than quantity and have a better sound. This solves your car problem, you can take the girl and her boyfriend!

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1327613353' post='1514334']
Many many bassists are very happy with the sound they get from mixing 10s and 15s.
However, if you are buying new, you may as well go with the orthodox view that same size drivers are best.
A 410 and a 210 will give you great flexibility between a 210,410 and a 610 for all size venues and car boots.
[/quote]
Wish I'd got the 2x10 now :(

If you've already got the 15, get another 15. If you're not going through the PA, then more of your audience will hear you than they would a 2x10+4x10 config.
Don't get sucked in to the nonsense that 15's have no top end.
Phil Starr gives a good point if you use PA.

[size=4]You can be purist or practical. Most of the successful players and manufacturers are practical. [/size]

[size=4]I believe manufacturers do care about the sound of their equipment (that's how they plan to sell it) and cab combinations are more forgiving than you'd be led to believe by some. For years players have successfully mixed speaker sizes.[/size]

[size=4]Don't worry if you already have the 151P, you haven't bought a turkey. You can add the 102P, another 151P or just use the 151P on its own. [/size]

[size=4]I don't get PA support and I gigged in some loud bands with just a Mesa Boogie 115. 1 400 watt cab is fine in most situations and as this is just your personal monitor you only need another cab for show.[/size]

Yep, although many say speaker sizes shouldn`t be mixed, the best set-ups I`ve ever played through are my current Schroeder cab, which has 2x10s & 1x12, and a tweeter. Secondly, my Barefaced Compact (1x15) and Midget (1x12). I`ve also used some great 210 & 115 stacks.