Why become a member? ×

Musicman 5 string customising

EmmettC

I've been using it for a week now, 2 auditions, 2 gigs and 1 rehearsal. It is lovely, possibly my favourite bass sound ever is both humbuckers on, treble and mid set around zero and bass boosted slightly. Both on as single coils give a really lovely tone too. Both auditions were playing covers, and all very different, so I managed to get a really good sound for all of the songs.

The gigs and rehearsal in my originals band though, much as I love the variety, what sounded best with full band, and cut through was the bridge humbucker on it's own, and just use the John east pre to change the sounds for different songs.

I love the finished bass, and I have no doubt I'll use all the pickup options in different bands, gigs and recordings, and the Nordstrand pups are lovely, however I think bang-for-buck my favourite alteration is definitely the John East Pre, it really is amazing.

I think it will be the first thing I do to any Stingray, or any bass, I own in the future.

This thread had been very useful for me so thanks for posting Emmett, I do love MM's but find the single pick-up a tad limiting in my covers band and was seriously thinking of going down the HH route but reading your summary I think I might try an East EQ with the single H first, basically try and get a more varied set of tones without having to take a router to my bass.

R.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd give a quick update on this, I've been playing with a function/wedding band a lot over the last few months (which is why I've been so quiet here) and I'm really comfortable with the bass now.

I stand by the fact that the John East pre is amazing, but the kneck humbucker and coil tap are really great too. Particularly in a function band which plays rock, pop, funk and ceilidh in one gig.

The stingray bridge pup is still my favourite sound in my original band (rock/techno crossover), and for the funk music in the covers band.

The 2 humbuckers are great for most rock, a bit like my G&L L2500 but less agressive, but they can sound nice and deep too. It has a nice deep (bass) tone.

The 2 pups on as single coils are great for some slower numbers, and give lovely clarity for high end stuff.

Either single coil alone is a bit noisy, and the kneck humbucker is too wooly sounding, but it really has worked out well overall. It now does everything I need it to.