Why become a member? ×

Why?

musophilr

I haven't read any of the comments yet. But I can imagine.

And as for someone winning 2 TC prizes, all I can say is FIX!!
:P

(but no, congrats again. With your board I'd have thought you'd have won all 10!)

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1327512668' post='1512679']
Yeah a bit silly. Some dude says he can't believe I 'wasted' my money. Oh well.
[/quote]

yeah, i saw that - that pedalboard thread on the TC facebook page was like a magnet for w***ers!! some of the comments were ridiculous, especially the guy who said you'd wasted your money, and that he was awesome as he had 5 pedals and 'used them ALL'.... slow hand claps all around :)

Don't worry Shep, there are people spending more money than you:
[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=307631645947200&set=a.153482268028806.26828.141818032528563&type=1&theater"]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=307631645947200&set=a.153482268028806.26828.141818032528563&type=1&theater[/url]

The guy who commented on your pic must me a failed guitarist who never could get the hang to control a simple crybaby...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1327516395' post='1512783']
[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=307631645947200&set=a.153482268028806.26828.141818032528563&type=1&theater"]http://www.facebook....&type=1[/url]

The guy who commented on your pic must me a failed guitarist who never could get the hang to control a simple crybaby...
[/quote]

Now thats special...

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=307631645947200&set=a.153482268028806.26828.141818032528563&type=1&theater"]http://www.facebook....&type=1[/url]

[/quote]

I bet that was the guy who won the Boss competition last year. The prize was the entire pedal range.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1327517258' post='1512804']
I bet that was the guy who won the Boss competition last year. The prize was the entire pedal range.
[/quote]

Quite likely!

To be fair though - the comments kinda support this thread. It's clear that many folk view effects differently and 'most' (maybe) still thank that having a distortion pedal is enough, and in many cases it is. These folks are likely great musicians that make great music as well. They have always got by being creative and making music for their enjoyment and their audience base with just one pedal, or no pedals.

It's just a shame that a few folks (not many mind) can't accept that effects and pedals can be an instrument of their own, that many forms of electronic music are based upon the sounds that these things create. It's unreasonable to think, that with so many pedals on the market, that is someone wants to make synthesised music, that they have to use a keyboard!

[/quote]
Boss pedals are pretty cheap though! ;)

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1327517258' post='1512804']
[/quote]
If only there was an EHX contest like that.. or even better, a Zvex one.. *drool*

@panther: After looking at what that one guy on facebook said, I'm starting to think
that 'pedalism' could actually be a big problem in this world! :(
[rant] Some people can't accept that others work hard to earn enough money
to buy things that make your bass sound like a police siren.. it's pretty sad. (for them!)
Effects have evolved, and so has music. You could even say that some music is based off effects.
So now, in the modern era, it's normal to cart around a massive board if you're playing modern
music! [/rant]

Uh, on a side note, anyone know when TC Electronic's gonna release those
Mini Polytunes? I have to get my hands on a couple.. (my guitar rig will feel left out!)

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1327519741' post='1512866']
It's just a shame that a few folks (not many mind) can't accept that effects and pedals can be an instrument of their own, that many forms of electronic music are based upon the sounds that these things create.
[/quote]

Very true. I did like your comment about you bass being oscillators and the fx being the rest of a synth. Fantastic way of viewing things!
I have a very broad view of musical instruments. To me, if you can get a noise out of it you can use as a musical instrument. I just wish I have the time, and a tad more money, to experiment further.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1327524649' post='1512982']
If only there was an EHX contest like that.. or even better, a Zvex one.. *drool*

[/quote]

EHX one would be awesome!! Zvex I can leave.

Edited by bartelby

The Oscillators idea is something I've flown for a while. I did a talk at a Drummers forum a while back, about using the bass in modern music to play styles that deliberate DON'T lock with the drums... This concept came from that and it's how I've thought I it since.

As for the Polytune mini, due out in a month or so I think. Don't get too excited though - they messages me today, as I'll be one of the 1st bass players with one, to say that due to the size, certain features were left out (I assume as they can't fit everything on the circuit board). The thing that got left out was the guitar/bass switch for the poly mode. Which means bass can be tuned in chromatic mode only. I tended to use it that way anyway - but it's not really a 'polytuner' for the bass.

I find FX deeply frustrating.
I've been through loads (fortunately no boutique units) and I can't even find an OD that I like.
The only OD I've kept isn't a pedal, it's an Ampeg SVP-PRO!
I have an MXR M80 as a stand-alone DI, but run that "clean"
Why don't chorus pedals have the equivalent of a tap-delay to accurately sync the rate to the tempo of the music? I've never seen one that has..
Tap-delays can be quite nice, and I can see the value in a looper with plenty of memory.
I like to use a variety of different basses, and find that they interact very differently with FX in some cases (the low impedance output of the Vigier's on-board pre really throws some units)

I think my main cause of consternation with some kinds of FX is tone related. Why spend ages in pursuit of a bass with "the" tone (and, let's face it, most of us on here do, or have) only to smother it with modulation effects or somesuch.
I know they've got an "off" switch, but for me, I just relish the simplicity of the clean approach. I guess it depends on what type of noise you want to make...

YMMV, of course.

Actually, I have found an Overdrive to be the hardest thing to find that sounded good. I wanted something very very slight, a tiny, warm crunch that sounded natural and gritty without being anything like a distortion or fuzz.

I've had/have a number of distortion and fuzz pedals I love, but only a few months ago have I actually integrated an OD into my set up. 12 years I've played bass and never kept an OD pedal for more than a few months. I now have a Full Tone bass Drive and for what I want - It's staying for life!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1327531254' post='1513108']
Actually, I have found an Overdrive to be the hardest thing to find that sounded good. I wanted something very very slight, a tiny, warm crunch that sounded natural and gritty without being anything like a distortion or fuzz.

I've had/have a number of distortion and fuzz pedals I love, but only a few months ago have I actually integrated an OD into my set up. 12 years I've played bass and never kept an OD pedal for more than a few months. I now have a Full Tone bass Drive and for what I want - It's staying for life!
[/quote]
Love fulltone effects, but mostly for guitar. Not sure if this is what kind of overdrive
you're looking for, but the Darkglass B7K is very versatile (and expensive). I've fallen in love
with it myself, I love that style of bass overdrive.

The B7K is lovely, though I prefer the Bass Drive for more subtle warmth and grit, plus its a tone cheaper (when you can find one!). The B7K is super versatile, but I needed something to nail 1 sound perfectly - The Full Tone won!

[b][i]As this topic has been covered over and over recently, here is the sticky discussion thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177691-the-old-do-i-really-need-effects-or-whats-the-point-in-effects-argument/"]http://basschat.co.u...fects-argument/[/url][/i]

[i]Please continue discussion there rather than here...[/i][/b]