Why become a member? ×

Jim Deacon, Aria, Ibanez Basses

FLASH

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could advise me on the quality of Jim Deacon basses. I am looking for a back up bass guitar as I currently only own 1 bass (I know the shock/ shame of it).
The only bass I currently own is a very basic Tanglewood Rebel 4 (bought new as beginner package 2 years ago). Money is tight and I am getting some money together to buy an Ibanez or Aria second hand on Ebay (£100-£150) but in the mean time I need a back up as I play gigs (1 a month) with just the 1 bass so if the Tanglewood breaks down then I am stuffed.
Seen a Jim Deacon bass for sale locally and looks in good order for £50 but I do not know anything about the make and just wanted some advice about whether it is worth buying it.

Also wondered if anyone has any advice regarding the future second hand purchased of an Ibanez or Aria bass. Being a shorty I have reasonable small hands and arms so I want a bass with a relatively narrow neck and I have tried a couple of Ibanez basses and 1 Aria and liked the feel of them.

Any help welcome

Thanks Derek

Edited by FLASH

Hi Derek,

They are good starting points for projects. Typically the pickups won't be amazing and sometimes the setups can be woeful, but they are a cheap way into bass ownership and with a few modifications they can be perfectly serviceable.

For £50, I'd suggest you can't go far wrong.

Thanks!

I think you should just keep an eye on your tanglewood, make sure it's all working well and keep the £50 to put towards an aria or ibanez. You can pick up some lovely basses for under £200 in the for sale section, and £50 is a big chunk to put towards that.

I have an Aria pro2 integra, and it is lovely to play, I replaced the P pickup, and disconnected the J, and now it sounds great too.

I don't know much about Ibanez, but someone will be along soon.

EmmettC thanks for the advice. A friend has an Aria Pro II that sounds great so definately an option for me. Ibanez basses have a thin neck which appeals to me due to small hands. I think its a sensible decision to hold onto the £50 and save up an upgrade rather than spend it on a backup Jim Deacon.
I am attached to the Tanglewood as its my first bass and I like the sound but after 2 years (& 20 gigs) I know its time to step up another level. Also time to get some bass lessons to help me progress!!!

Thanks Moos3h for your comments.

Ibanez make really good basses, in fact one of them is travelling up the m6 with my name on it as we speak. If you have small hands, the neck is ideal and as most of them have an active circut in them, they give you more tonal options.

I have owned several Ibbys in the past and they have all been good value for money. Have a look at the Yamaha BB414 (if I remember right). They generally go for around 200 quid on here and they are really tasty, have a narrow neck and a set of P/J pickups. Never heard a bad word about them on here.

Re the Jim Decon. I think they are made by the same guys who make the SX range of basses and any I saw for the money they were asking were ok.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Decided at present to stick with the Tanglewood and save my money. I will continue to try and find the right bass for me but instead of getting a backup I intend to find an upgrade from the tanglewood. Once again thanks for all the advice. Flash