Why become a member? ×

Suhr jazz bass..

bubinga5

THE.. most amazing quilted maple top with matching headstock...its almost 3D.. i played one once with the Suhr preamp and it was prob the best transparent quality i ever played.. it sounded like the perfect 70's jazz... these are VERY expensive though...

Edited by bubinga5

I'm sure the Suhr's sound great (although I've not tried one), but the knob layout always looks a bit cluttered on the front of a J body for me.

However... the bass I'm lusting after right now is a Pensa J. I played a few in NYC when I was there and they were of a ridiculously high quality, really lovely instruments and not particularly well known, especially not outside of the U.S. You'll definitely appreciate this video BB5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgmYcaDJqIU

i was very very close to buying a 4 string Pensa jazz, direct from Rudy Pensa at the music stop.....he was a co builder of Suhr guitars as im sure you know... i just couldnt drop 2900.00 on a jazz at the time.. i wish i had of taken the jump..i was a phone call away close.. i bought a sadowsky 5 instead...... idiot.... it was a flame maple blue with matching headstock , with maple neck, pearl blocks and the most amazing gold tone knobs with pearl inlays.. too flashy? probably, but they are jazz basses that get my GAS going like no other jazz..

Suhrs and Pensas are my holly grail of jazz basses... is there any better preamp'd tone on a jazz that Ris just posted...not imo.. there just wonderful..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1326672713' post='1500425']
damn you Risington, i thought i let the gas go with my new jazz but those Pensas just sound asmome
[/quote]

Haha! They're wonderful basses. I just remind myself to be happy with what I've got a lot of the time, and that whilst something like a Pensa or a Sadowsky NYC would be a lovely addition to my collection, I'm just as happy with my Lakland DJ4 for now whilst I'm skint. But as they say, the grass is always greener, until you actually buy a new bass and then 6 months down the line you want something new! :lol:

That bass in the clip sounds great, and the finish on it is really cool.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1326673564' post='1500438']
Wow - look amazing!

I might prefer it to be a bit of a darker blue but I'm a sucker for his kind of finish :)
[/quote]cant say im a massive fan of the light blue either Barrie, but that quilt is just awsome... my new GAS has just reared its attractive head and showed what will haunt my wallet for the next year........

sh*t..