Why become a member? ×

Okay how Stupid Was i ?

MusicLover20015

Brand new band, brand new stuff, going in cold, keep it simple first time out! real simple until you spot the groove then hang with the drums...same old stuff!

Next time through you've a slight familiarity with the drummer and the material you can start to home in on sections where some sweet fills will make beautiful music!

Jamerson and co not only knew their stuff but they played together in a garage/cellar/studio day in day out for years so they knew each other's style intimately, you've got none of the 'knowing the guys you're playing with' which brings ease to a new song...go easy on yourself, you got a great band by the sound of it and after a trial by fire you're still there aren't you!

You've spotted a knowledge gap in yourself and that can be remedied, each time you go back you'll be a little better at playing with them and at playing the tunes.

No-one got fired for playing root notes (especially the right ones) and playing them in time.

You're probably unfamiliar with the genre - you're going to have to go listen to some big band music. Sounds like a fun gig to me, although most big bands I have seen play from sheet music so it could have been worse (or better!)

[quote name='MusicLover20015' timestamp='1326313166' post='1495417']
Yes i get your point, but i have never thought about the theory behind his lines. His sophistication if just one of the things that had brought me playing the bass lines. i mean i have noticed the open strings, i was made to love her, what's going on, but sure i'll just have a look at them, analyse them in depth hopefully furthering my knowledge. Thanks for that, you've opened my eyes
[/quote]

Just use your ears and theory in conjunction with one another. That's what makes great bass players really great. Good luck with it :)

Have you studied walking basslines much? I remember having a similar experience to this when going along to a jam night for the first time, and having a chord sheet placed in front of me (possibly Mr PC). thankfully there's loads of info on BC about this, especially on the theory section. One of the most helpful things was sitting down with a mate of mine who plays trumpet, and just generally discussing the theory of playing over chords.

Do you have an example of the chord chart that you could post so we can give you some more detailed help.

Developing melodic ideas from a chord chart is a pretty simple process at its basic level if you know your theory behind it.

You can create a nice simple groove with your Root, 3rd, 5th & octave. With these 3 notes your able to transfer it to all the chords in the piece if needs be.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1326394504' post='1496729']
You can create a nice simple groove with your Root, 3rd, 5th & octave. With these 3 notes your able to transfer it to all the chords in the piece if needs be.
[/quote]

a personal favourite is using the b7 on chords with a b7. If you've got your intervals down, then chromatic notes into and between chord tones is generally leads to the more interesting lines

Edited by blackmn90