Why become a member? ×

which nylon tapewounds?

mcnach

Over the past year I've grown to appreciate flatwound strings, mostly on Precision basses.

I also "discovered" nylon tapewounds, and I'm liking them a lot.
Right now I have a set of D'Addario tapewounds on a fretless P-bass and a Jazz. Very comfortable, lowish tension for the gauge, a bit bright 'though. So I tend to play with the tone control (passive) rolled off entirely.

I have an OLP MM2 that I have used lately with a set of Chromes, and I want to try some other nylon tapewounds on it.
I have tried the Rotosound TruBass ones, which were interesting on fretless, but a bit to plasticky/clickety on fretted, and very thumpy.

I'm wondering what else is out there that might be worth trying, and why you think they are worth trying.
I heard a lot of comments about Labellas and TI's, but haven't tried those.

Ideally I'd like something with a reasonable low tension (I like to bend strings) but it's not a deal-breaker. Rich lows and mids, not too boomy, don't care for top end.

Any ideas?

GHS Tapewound:

[url="http://www.ghsstrings.com/strings/bass/tapewound"]http://www.ghsstrings.com/strings/bass/tapewound[/url]

Their nicer than the roto's. They feel and sound less 'plasticy'. The winding has a matt finish so is easier on the fingers too. When I replace my rotos Ill be getting another set of these GHS's. Im actually a GHS convert and would recommend thier bright flats which are actually pressure wound so are easier on the fingers again and sound very nice too if you want a slightly dulled round sound. Theres another avenue to explore :D Best to get them off the bay direct from the US. Works out cheaper if not the same and more readily available.

A

I've only used them on fretless but I've tried:
Picato- too much trebble in the sound and I had problems with two sets where the tape came unwound.
Fender- personal favorite, cheap, slightly textured feel, lots of bass in the sound , but only available in fours(being played as I type in my profile pic)
Status- again cheap, smooth feel, I've only tried these on my active five, a wide range of tone but this could be down to the pickups and preamp. I suspect that they are a bit less bassy than Fenders on a passive.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1325793322' post='1487923']
I read that the Fender tapes had changed since D'Addario started making Fender strings.
[/quote]
Bugger!
I'd not heard that, The set I have on my twin neck is going strong and it's not my main bass at the moment, who knows what Fender tapewounds will be like when I need to replace them.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1325793585' post='1487931']
Bugger!
I'd not heard that, The set I have on my twin neck is going strong and it's not my main bass at the moment, who knows what Fender tapewounds will be like when I need to replace them.
[/quote]
I read it on Talkbass - there are several threads - people have been buying up the old ones when they appear on eBay (if I've understood correctly).

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1325856930' post='1488821']
Lots of love for those La Bella 760N, but the string gauge is 60-115!
That sounds a bit hefty... do they feel as "hard" as the gauge would normally suggest?
[/quote]

I'd say no, they are pretty low tension, so the gauge doesn't feel like you're playing anything heavier than a typical, say 45-105 strung bass.

I must try those La Bella strings, as I keep hearing about them... but the gauge scares me, so this time I'm trying Fender 9120M strings. The GHS looked interesting too, but they appear too similar to the D'Addario tapawounds I am currently using, from reviews and a youtube clip. we will see.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1325859037' post='1488887']
I'd say no, they are pretty low tension, so the gauge doesn't feel like you're playing anything heavier than a typical, say 45-105 strung bass.
[/quote]

ok, let's go for broke... I'll order one of these too and stop the wondering :P
thanks!
I will let you know if I hate them ;) :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1325856930' post='1488821']
Lots of love for those La Bella 760N, but the string gauge is 60-115!
That sounds a bit hefty... do they feel as "hard" as the gauge would normally suggest?
[/quote]
I never take much notice of the gauge of strings, it's the tension that matters. I'd say La Bella 760Ns are medium-light tension.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1325869024' post='1489153']
When the Fenders arrive would you mind posting pics of the packet and details of the strings (ball end, other end , texture if poss) I'd love to see if you have old stock or new and what the new ones are like.
[/quote]

Will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Fenders arrived, and a day later the La Bella ones too.

I installed the Fenders first. I took pictures of the package and strings, I will post them later.
I really really really like them. They are shiny and not so smooth (it feels as though the fingers stick to them a little bit, but not really) but they feel good to play, really nice tension (110 - 58 gauge, but the feel similar to D'Addario XL170 45-100), and really nice sound. This is the type of sound I was after... bingo!

I haven't tried the La Bellas yet.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1325859340' post='1488899']
I must try those La Bella strings, as I keep hearing about them... but the gauge scares me, so this time I'm trying Fender 9120M strings. The GHS looked interesting too, but they appear too similar to the D'Addario tapawounds I am currently using, from reviews and a youtube clip. we will see.
[/quote]
They don't feel as weird as you might think. I have the DBEs for my Hohner headless (fretted) and have used them on fretless. They are really really nice mate.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1326668139' post='1500352']
Well, the Fenders arrived, and a day later the La Bella ones too.

I installed the Fenders first. I took pictures of the package and strings, I will post them later.
I really really really like them. They are shiny and not so smooth (it feels as though the fingers stick to them a little bit, but not really) but they feel good to play, really nice tension (110 - 58 gauge, but the feel similar to D'Addario XL170 45-100), and really nice sound. This is the type of sound I was after... bingo!

I haven't tried the La Bellas yet.
[/quote]
Any chance of those pics?

Just scored a packet of Fender tapewounds on ebay today. Last packet this particular supplier had £17.50 including delivery from the States.
I note another supplier had some for $19.49 plus $8.95 delivery from the US (£12.29 + £5.64 at today's exchange rate), which still seems pretty reasonable. They have six sets left at the moment.
I have a set of tapewound on my fretless acoustic but I think they were a random set from an unknown supplier I got from ebay a few years ago. Maybe from May Music? Never kept the packet but they have been fine. I will see how the Fenders compare although they will be going on a different bass as the fretless will be up for sale soon.

Edited by Leon Transaxle

• 2 weeks later...

To follow on from my last post the Fender strings came with a colour coded ball end (sea foam for the G, candy apple red for the A etc).
Don't know if this helps in determining whether this is from the new manufacturer or the old one.
The bag also mentions a low B with a graffiti yellow end but I don't know whether this means the tapewounds are now available in a five set or its a genric bag for all Fender strings now. I didn't get this in the last pack of Fender flats I bought (admittedly a year or so ago).

Edited by Leon Transaxle

I've got Rotosound Trubass 88s on my Bass Collection SB320 fretless. You can hear them on this track: [url="http://soundcloud.com/mornats/mystery-and-magic"]http://soundcloud.com/mornats/mystery-and-magic[/url].

They're 115-60 but have low tension and are fairly easy to play.