Why become a member? ×

The ultimate Fender 51 Re-Issue P bass!

tredders

Please see this thread instead :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164056-fs-the-ultimate-fender-51-re-issue-precision/"]http://basschat.co.u...ssue-precision/[/url]

Edited by tredders

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1325601476' post='1484917']
Very nice indeed! :gas: But [pedant] I think the bridge cover is the wrong way round [/pedant]. :)
[/quote]

Apparently (and I'm sure someone better qualified than I can confirm / deny) the bridge cover was sometimes worn this way to prevent the foam mutes from hitting the strings. Not that these re-issue covers have mutes in, but there you go :)

Edited by tredders

Nice! But can't imagine why the stock pickup needed replacing. Apart from the overwind, where's the advantage?
Correct about the bridge cover. Looks dim that way, but did take the mute off the strings. No mute? Gotta be better the right way round...
Lovely basses though, Someone buy it! And mine too!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1325606274' post='1485034']
Nice! But can't imagine why the stock pickup needed replacing. Apart from the overwind, where's the advantage?
Correct about the bridge cover. Looks dim that way, but did take the mute off the strings. No mute? Gotta be better the right way round...
[/quote]

Since you asked, the Tele pickup sounds infinitely better than the standard one, which is why I changed it. Pretty much everyone I know with one of these basses changes the stock pup, often to a SD Antiquity. I got the chance to buy the Tele pup and snapped it up. Sounds great now.

And I'll ensure the mute the right way round before sending it to whoever buys it....

Can you just confirm something because I an obviously getting my pickups mixed up here. I understood a 70s Telecaster bass to be a different animal than the 50s precision bass. The Telecaster bass, I thought, had a big chrome covered humbucker type pickup located near the neck. Is this the type of pickup which you have fitted to your bass in place of the original? Or have you fitted a single coil pickup similar to the original but a beefed up version? Sorry to have to ask it's just that I'm not sure as to what title is applied to what pickup.

Just ignore me. I see that there were two versions of the Telecaster bass. One from 68-71 which had the single coil and one from 71-79 which had the big humbucker. Mystery solved!

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1325608103' post='1485089']
Kinda wish I hadn't mentioned it now. :lol:
[/quote]

I'm laughing because I had this whole conversation once before about the "right" way to put the bridge cover on. It'll be carved on my tombstone...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1325609667' post='1485134']
Just wondering :huh: :blush: :rolleyes: how come it doesn't appear to have the MIJ/CIJ & serial number on the neck heel?

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

That's more to do with my rubbish photography than anything else! I've added a pic of it now.

Cheers

Mark.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1325610520' post='1485169']
That's more to do with my rubbish photography than anything else! I've added a pic of it now.

Cheers

Mark.
[/quote]
Nicely done sir :happy: B)

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1325610520' post='1485169']
[/quote]

Very good! And all this persiflage is keeping your FS thread at the top of the shop! :lol:

...it certainly is - and here's some more: maybe I'm deaf, but the pick-up in my current MIJ 51re-ish (Q003**) sounds way more musical than the dead meat in my old Telecaster Bass.

Q's: which bit needed machining: the p/up or the body? What was the requirement for the new pickguard?

Yours is a better colour than mine. :mellow:

I may be getting gas. Best open a window.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1325616646' post='1485289']
...it certainly is - and here's some more: maybe I'm deaf, but the pick-up in my current MIJ 51re-ish (Q003**) sounds way more musical than the dead meat in my old Telecaster Bass.

Q's: which bit needed machining: the p/up or the body? What was the requirement for the new pickguard?

Yours is a better colour than mine. :mellow:

I may be getting gas. Best open a window.
[/quote]

No disrespect, but are you interested in buying this? Or did you just feel the need to stop by and say that your stock pup sounds better than your Tele one? Genuinely happy that you think that, however the vast majority of owners think the stock pup is a bit weedy, and often swap them out.

Please remember that this is a sale thread - not a general discussion. To answer the machining question, 1 or 2 mm's were machined out of the pup cavity. It would have fitted without this, but it would have been a tight squeeze, and I wanted a proper job doing. Regarding the pickguard, the old one was warped and I the guy who looks after my basses had another one, which was specifically fitted to this bass.

Edited by tredders

I forgot about the Wilkinson bridge (£70) too. Replaces the fairly awful standard bridge.

Oh, and it was copper shielded, too. I forgot these two things, but have just found the worksheet for it!

Edited by tredders

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1325619194' post='1485334']
Please remember that this is a sale thread - not a general discussion.[/quote]
Forgive me. Discussion over. Gas now evaporated.

No more questions. Promise.

Edited by mckendrick