Why become a member? ×

5 Stringers

deanbean502

I play a 5 string but I very rarely use the low B string. Consequently I'm thinking of going back to 4 strings---but my current bass is so nice that I'm kind of reluctant to get rid of it!

One disadvantage that hasn't been mentioned yet is your right hand muting needs to be better. Muting the extra strings on a 4-string bass is much easier than it is on a 5 (for me, anyway).

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]A 5 string bass isn't about the low notes, it's about added flexibility. You can play across the strings rather than up and down the neck. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The low notes are still important though and you can easily play in Eb and D and there is an extra force to the notes down there, as long as your amp and cabs are good for the extra work they have to do. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I don't think the size of a 5 string neck is important but the playability issue is all about the spacing between the strings.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]A 5 string bass will show up all the defects in your technique and lazy playing will be more noticeable. None of the problems like muting and "stretching" are problems with the instrument just shortcomings in how you play it. Fix your technique and your bass will sing.[/font][/color][/size]

I have two 5 string basses- a low End Jazz which is 19mm and a Warwick Thumb which is 17 methinks. Much prefer the Low End as double thumbing etc is much much easier than the Thumb, though for fingerstyle the Thumb is very very good. Bs on both would murder any Fender 5.

I also just bought a Fender Jazz 4 string which I love and I can easily go back to a four string but have to think on my feet in a band setting. Think it is better using a five than an octave pedal, sounds more natural- especially in a soul band with brass- everthing seems to be in Eb where that low note is really important. I hate de-tuning on the fly.

I would go for it- changing your bass in any way makes playing overall more interesting- you can always go back. I do think that playing a four string- especially a classic bass like a Fender does look way way cooler than a 5 which sometimes seems like cheating.

• 5 months later...

I use a 4 for my main band and a 5 for my 2nd one. I have no problems playing both, although i'm not a fan of the low b on my 5, it just lacks the depth and authority that i want from it. I've been debating on having it modded recently, refinished in something eccentric, routed for a MM humbucker bridge pup, Delano pickups and a John East pre. I'd love to put the electronics out of a HS Bongo 5 in there, that would be absolutely IMMENSE but wouldn't be easy.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1339408003' post='1687895'] i'm not a fan of the low b on my 5, it just lacks the depth and authority that i want from it. I've been debating on having it modded recently, refinished in something eccentric, routed for a MM humbucker bridge pup, Delano pickups and a John East pre. I'd love to put the electronics out of a HS Bongo 5 in there, that would be absolutely IMMENSE but wouldn't be easy.[/quote]

This would imply that the problem with the B was down to the electronics. Is there any evidence that this is the case? I always thought/assumed that it was more down to design compromises involved in making a "cheap" five string?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1339408262' post='1687901']
This would imply that the problem with the B was down to the electronics. Is there any evidence that this is the case? I always thought/assumed that it was more down to design compromises involved in making a "cheap" five string?
[/quote]

I find that the electronics as a whole are lacking, especially in output and i'm not entirely a fan of the original pickups, they get the job done but not to the standard i want. I'm hoping the B is mainly due to a setup issue, which i'll try to sort as best i can when i actually get chance.

Liam

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1325513276' post='1483779']

For years, the most amazing players with fantastic techniques etc have gotten by with using 4's. The only thing that has changed now is the style of music and how it is reproduced. You should go for it if the music requires it.

When I listen some contemporary rock tunes which use a 5 (or more) string, I hardly notice it as it becomes integral to the sound. But often I'll hear a piece of music in say gospel or funk styles and the bassist moves onto the B and I'll be like "oh that's a 5 string" and I find it distracting.

I experimented with a 5er in one of my bands any my band-mates were like "yes, that's the sound". There was no turning back.... well... until I left the band. :D
Then I was in a band who tuned to drop CGCF(AD) mostly, so a 5 string became utterly useless and I went back to a specially set up 4.

I've seen bassists use the B as a thumb-rest right the way through the set on a 5er and it makes you wonder.... what's it there for, the (alleged) kudos?

The transition is very easy.. unless you are one of those dearies who can't get on with a neck that's a smidge bigger or smaller than what you are used to. :D
[/quote]

"[i]When I listen some contemporary rock tunes which use a 5 (or more) string, I hardly notice it as it becomes integral to the sound. But often I'll hear a piece of music in say gospel or funk styles and the bassist moves onto the B and I'll be like "oh that's a 5 string" and I find it distracting.[/i]"
Really? I don't mind too much if it gets beaten to death, but if a note lower than (low) E sneaks in, then that's fine, especially if it's used for emphasis or in a meaningful manner.

"[i]I've seen bassists use the B as a thumb-rest right the way through the set on a 5er and it makes you wonder.... what's it there for, the (alleged) kudos?[/i]"
Maybe they don't need it in that band, but do in another. If the bass is nice, you're going to want to play it, irrespective of how many strings it has. Maybe it's the only bass they have. Fivers [i]do[/i] make for a good all-rounder if you only own one instrument..

[quote name='johnnyboy' timestamp='1339403080' post='1687799']
I find when slapping there is much less punch on the low B string.
Can't seem to get it to feel alive. Thought it might be the way i strung it but no.

This happen for other folk?
[/quote]

Mate you should try a Status.... no difference at all between strings.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1339437068' post='1688478']
Mate you should try a Status.... no difference at all between strings.
[/quote]

Which reminds me;
A sympathetically chosen set of strings can make all the difference.
(Sympathetic to both your playing style and the bass itself, of course.)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1339437289' post='1688484']
Which reminds me;
A sympathetically chosen set of strings can make all the difference.
(Sympathetic to both your playing style and the bass itself, of course.)
[/quote]

Absolutely..... 35-120 for me on a 5er