Why become a member? ×

GK MB200 IS IT LOUD ENOUGH

garry warrington

New to the forum,but i have been playing for a long time
previously i had an GK 400rb(200w) usa made head which was fairly loud with a 4 ohm 410 cab,i used to gig in a rock band but
had to sell it last year due to money probs.

Thinking about buying a new GK mb200 and using it with a couple of Hartke 115xl

Will it be powerful enough? i am on a limited budget!

or are there any suggestions or alternatives

[b]Any advice would be great![/b]

i am using a jazz/precision neck combination
the players i like are- Jeff Berlin, colin Hodgkinson,Stanley Clarke,Tony Newton,John Wetton,James Jamerson and so on!!

Well I use an MB500, and through a 4ohm cab, so getting the full 500 watts, in a punk covers band, the volume hasn`t needed to go above the 9 o`clock position. I also used it with an 8 ohm cab, so getting 375 watts, and only needed it on the 11 o`clock position.

These MB amps are powerful, so I would think that, providing you`re using two 8 ohm cabs, which the 115XLs are, it should be fine, if near to flat out.

What music are you playing and how loud is your band? I have an MB200 and have totally drowned out our drummer when going thru an uber-sensitive 2x12 or 2x15; conversely I did a gig with no PA support and a single 1x15 which was just not enough.

For jazz gigs, no problem; for rock gigs with no PA support, I'd say no.

My main head is the MB Fusion btw, which I bought after loving the MB200 so much :)

I didn't think mine was .. so NO is my answer .. see if you can get one from Thomann so you have 30 days to try it out .. send it back & get refund if it isn't loud enough.
Guess it does depend on your cab (s) & how loud your band is ... I also had a 400RB .. I now have a 700RB & that's really loud. So my advise would be to save up & try get a 2nd hand 700RB (maybe around £300 mark)

hope this helps

Si