Why become a member? ×

Would someone recommend me a CD to check out please.

M-N-Y

Hello All,

Would someone please recommend me a newish CD to check out. My taste is generally jazz,funk more than rock although I am open minded.
Players I like which may help, Gary Willis,Rich Brown, Julian Crampton and all the Incognito bassists, Matt Garrison, all the famous funk players like Nate Watts; Jaco, Lee Sklar, Ed Poole etc.

I am grateful for any pointers or suggestions.

Cheers,

Mark.

Have you had a listen to Portico Quartet? Can but somewhat odd at times, but they're a current favourite of mine:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWeXPCi2Mwk[/media]

Am going with the 'I am open minded' part of your taste for this recommendation :)

Edited by ZMech

The Bad Plus. Reid Anderson is a fabulous upright player, Dave King is a truly unique drummer and Ethan Iverson is a monster musician!

They can push the envelope of improvisation a bit far for some, but I love them. They're well known for their covers of famous tunes (Smells Like Teen Spirit, Iron Man etc) but some of their own compositions are fantastic. Check out the bass solo at the end of Knows The Difference...beautiful playing! It's about 5:30 in. The whole tune changes utterly at 5 mins to a lovely groove having built up to total chaos!

[media]http://youtu.be/3601WwQRAKQ[/media]

Edited by leroybasslines