Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB0 - why so cheap?

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1325540930' post='1484265']
The ones I have tried have been awful. Ploddy. Even the EB-3's, which I lusted after for years being a big Andy Fraser fan (Free) have turned out to be a massive disappointment.

Gibson basses.........yuk!
[/quote]

I have to say I'd love to have a Gibson EB-3 in great condition. Of course, I tend to go for that deep sound that Jack Bruce had with Cream.

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1325543978' post='1484330']
I have to say I'd love to have a Gibson EB-3 in great condition. Of course, I tend to go for that deep sound that Jack Bruce had with Cream.
[/quote]
Thunderous, Man. Not too kean, but I wouldn't blink twice at a slot-head model in good nick.

My first bass was actually an Ibanez EB-3 copy.... and I have to say, it was a superb bass all in all. This from a Jazz Bass bod! Should I be embarassed?

Edited by mckendrick

I used an EBO ('68) on a recording for an artist a few years back. It belonged to the studio and they told me that they picked it up for £400. It was in pretty good nick and I was amazed it was valued that low. Considering that two iconic players in the 60's used them (Jack Bruce and Felix Pappalardi) you would think they would have more apeal?

That said, not my cup of tea at all. One trick pony and it doesn't even do that trick very well! Very dull and lifeless tone and plays awful. Better off with a Hofner Violin bass if you want an old short scale bass that you can actually use.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1325610406' post='1485160']
Better off with a Hofner Violin bass if you want an old short scale bass that you can actually use.
[/quote]

...or a Gibson EB3.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1325610509' post='1485167']
Brilliant image!
[/quote]

I laughed out loud at that comment when I read it...it is something to be aware of with these basses though...imagine it leaned against the amp during the break in rehearsals, bass slips and the headstock collapses.
There are many of these out there with headstock repairs.

Caveat Emptor.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1325610406' post='1485160']
I used an EBO ('68) on a recording for an artist a few years back. It belonged to the studio and they told me that they picked it up for £400. It was in pretty good nick and I was amazed it was valued that low. Considering that two iconic players in the 60's used them (Jack Bruce and Felix Pappalardi) you would think they would have more apeal?

That said, not my cup of tea at all. One trick pony and it doesn't even do that trick very well! Very dull and lifeless tone and plays awful. Better off with a Hofner Violin bass if you want an old short scale bass that you can actually use.
[/quote]

Jack played an EB-3, which is much like an EB-O, but with two pickups and a better sound. Felix played an EB-1, a Gibson bass now very valuable but more for collectors than players it seems. However, Jack Bruce does still sometimes play an EB-1, although he no longer plays an EB-3 which he said now seems like a toy to him. I don't know if he still plays one now, but Mike Watt played an EB-3 for a long time. I can't think of anyone else who still plays an EB-3 or EB-O. Famous players who played an EB-O were few and far between anyway. They seem to have little appeal due to the so-called muddy sound which comes from the single humbucker pickup. I did use one in a studio once and actually liked the sound. But the engineer was also a bassist who paid special attention to the sound of bass on recordings and I was also able to run the EB-O through his Ampeg v4b (which I also liked.)

Edited by Austin7

Andy Fraser picked an EB-3 because Fender basses were physically too big for his diminutive frame. I just loved the honking tone he got (with a nice amount overdrive from the speakers live), I believe using solely the bridge pick up.

I had wanted one since the late 70's, partially because being left-handed, they weren't too bad to play upside-down.

Of course if I came across a nice one and had floating cash, I would grab it and and join another Free tribute band. After all, I was in one for 4 years. Best bass lines I ever had to learn.

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1325637128' post='1485651']
He is an under rated player in my book - I'm a big fan.

Just listen to the end section of Mr Big for great tones and timing.
[/quote]

He played the solo different every night. I particularly like the studio version. Such a mature player for a 17 year old.
If you have the Free DVD, Free Forever, take a look inside the booklet. The colourised pic of Andy was done by me. OK it's just manipulation, but it was intended
as a T-shirt design but it involved too many colours at the time. Anyway, I am happy that it ended up where it did!

Big fan? oh yes, me too , :)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1325667046' post='1485729']
Very true...I stand corrected! Spot on!
[/quote]

I think it's easy to get the names of the EB basses mixed up. I've even seen Jack Bruce get the names of EB-O, EB-1, and EB-3 mixed up in an interview. Actually, I think what he did--if I remember correctly--is refer to his EB-1 as an EB-O. He may have correctly referred to his old bass with Cream as an EB-3.

I bought an SG supreme not too long ago - done remotely via a shop. Hated it immediately and sent it back the same day (didn't even have to explain it to the girlfriend as she never even saw it!) Currently if I want that huge sound I just solo my neck position darkstar on the decade. Heaven.
Pity really, I wanted to like the Gibson but the balance was awful, the sound terrible and I found even the neck profile bad as well. Maybe they're an acquired taste.....like jazz. Cue Bilbo :)

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1325706755' post='1486496']
I bought an SG supreme not too long ago - done remotely via a shop. Hated it immediately and sent it back the same day (didn't even have to explain it to the girlfriend as she never even saw it!) Currently if I want that huge sound I just solo my neck position darkstar on the decade. Heaven.
Pity really, I wanted to like the Gibson but the balance was awful, the sound terrible and I found even the neck profile bad as well. Maybe they're an acquired taste.....like jazz. Cue Bilbo :)
[/quote]

I've never played an SG, but from what I've heard about them they supposedly sound more like a Thunderbird than an EB-O or EB-3. I'd say the similarity between an SG and EB-O/EB-3 is mostly in the looks. Also, from what I've been able to gather, quality control for new Gibson basses is not particularly good. It doesn't surprise me if someone gets one and says it sounds terrible. On the other hand, the next one just like it may be fine.

Edited by Austin7

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1325722435' post='1486812']
Hard to grasp. How can Gibson make some beautiful guitars like the Les Paul ( Iv'e tried some custom shop jobs, play like heaven and immense build quality) yet the basses....? It's like they have no passion for bass. A token gesture?
[/quote]

I don't know what their reasons are, but it does appear they have little interest in even trying to sell basses in mass quantities like, for example, the way Fender does.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1325722435' post='1486812']
Hard to grasp. How can Gibson make some beautiful guitars like the Les Paul ( Iv'e tried some custom shop jobs, play like heaven and immense build quality) yet the basses....? It's like they have no passion for bass. A token gesture?
[/quote]

I've bit through my tongue. No passion for bass? A token gesture? Get right out of here. Gibson have come up with far more unique models of bass than Fender ever have. Go on, list them. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio is in excess of 2:1.

You can't accuse them of having no passion for bass, given the number of attempts they have made to try and compete with Fender. The 70s were a particularly fruitful time for Gibson at least in terms of variety. I will grant you that they haven't come up with many models interesting to me this century (yet) - they seem to have stagnated into an almost Fenderish regurgitating/rehashing old ideas habit - but companies with no passion for bass do not come up with the RD Artist.

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1325762475' post='1487136']
I don't know what their reasons are, but it does appear they have little interest in even trying to sell basses in mass quantities like, for example, the way Fender does.
[/quote]

You say that like it's a bad thing.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1325766497' post='1487238']
You say that like it's a bad thing.
[/quote]

Gibson basses are actually my favorite. For quite some time, I couldn't even tolerate Fender. A lot of this had to do with the fact that many years ago I had no choice but to use a Fender Precision at a gig. I didn't like it at all; I especially didn't like the neck which seemed really cumbersome to me. In recent years, I've come to like Fender better, but still prefer the deep, rich sound of a Gibson bass. Nevertheless, I see no reason to sugar-coat things. Gibson does have problems and I feel they view their basses as secondary to their guitars. The quality control that I mentioned also seems to be a big problem. In addition, although I do actually like the "muddy" sound even of EB-O basses, I recognize that many others don't. I think Gibson bass players will always be in a minority. Of course, that's fine with me. I just play what I like to play and like what I like rather than trying to win any popularity contests. Based on my record, though, it's highly likely that Gibson basses will always be my first choice.

Edited by Austin7

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1325770560' post='1487371']
Gibson basses are actually my favorite. For quite some time, I couldn't even tolerate Fender. A lot of this had to do with the fact that many years ago I had no choice but to use a Fender Precision at a gig. I didn't like it at all; I especially didn't like the neck which seemed really cumbersome to me. In recent years, I've come to like Fender better, but still prefer the deep, rich sound of a Gibson bass. Nevertheless, I see no reason to sugar-coat things. Gibson does have problems and I feel they view their basses as secondary to their guitars. The quality control that I mentioned also seems to be a big problem. In addition, although I do actually like the "muddy" sound even of EB-O basses, I recognize that many others don't. I think Gibson bass players will always be in a minority. Of course, that's fine with me. I just play what I like to play and like what I like rather than trying to win any popularity contests. Based on my record, though, it's highly likely that Gibson basses will always be my first choice.
[/quote]

I'm not arguing with you.

I'm not one to sugar coat things either - I've already mentioned my disappointment with Gibson's recent output. Gibson's main problem last century was persistently swimming against the tide, but at least it provided us with a plethora of different basses to play. I agree that they seem to care principally about keeping those Les Paul and SG guitars flowing, bass just isn't their focus, and I don't blame them for that. More people play guitar than bass. Look in any (non bass specific) music shop and count the number of guitars on the wall versus basses. Fender probably care more about their guitars than basses also - look at the latest output (the Select models) - it's 5:2 in favour of guitars. I hardly think that this phenomenon is limited to Gibson, it will inform the output of any instrument manufacturer who makes both guitars and basses.

(This is aimed at the world at large, not you btw) Speaking of minorities, I don't see why I should tolerate half-baked BS based upon regurgitated stereotypes and prejudices. I don't get a lot of Jock jokes said to my face (or even online come to think of it) for being Scottish, so why all the "if you sneeze near a Gibson, the headstock falls off"? It hasn't happened to any of mine. I'm bloody tired of hearing it. So you don't like Gibson basses. You may actually have played a few to form this opinion. Well done, I respect your right to that opinion. That doesn't give you the right to present that opinion as fact, crack jokes and be a dick about it.

(This is aimed at you, not the world at large btw) Out of interest, which Gibsons do you have, or have played/owned in the past?

^
The only Gibson I own is a 1964 EB-O. That's probably Gibson's worst bass. So if I like it, it stands to reason I'll like most other Gibsons. As for sound, I really like the EB-2 or even EB-3. If I had more money, I'd buy more Gibsons. But I got the EB-O at a bargain. After all, this topic started as a discussion of how cheap EB-O basses are. I haven't heard one, but the Gibson bass in the link at the bottom is a new one I'd be interested in. By the way, my EB-O has been played at many gigs and I've never had any problems with the headstock and have never had a neck dive problem with it, either.

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gibson-limited-run-les-paul-junior-dc-eb11-electric-bass-guitar/h71164000001000"]http://www.musicians...h71164000001000[/url]

Edited by Austin7

Ive got a '72 Triumph and its a splendid bass. More controls than anyone actually needs, unique (particularly for the time) features like lo/hi output mode... Pase in/out selector etc. With the right EQ set up on the bass alone you can get a Precision-y sound, a middy sound, the Gibson Mud Sound... lots of options to tailor your tone.

Of course, even though Gibson made these... everyone still bought Fenders! :)

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1326016383' post='1490932']
Ive got a '72 Triumph and its a splendid bass. More controls than anyone actually needs, unique (particularly for the time) features like lo/hi output mode... Pase in/out selector etc. With the right EQ set up on the bass alone you can get a Precision-y sound, a middy sound, the Gibson Mud Sound... lots of options to tailor your tone.

Of course, even though Gibson made these... everyone still bought Fenders! :)
[/quote]

Well, not quite everyone.