Why become a member? ×

Fretless Advice needed Active or Passive?

patch006

Hi All

I really enjoy playing my fretless, the thing is I much prefer the sound of it when it isn't plugged it to a amp I just don't think the pickups are doing it justice at all.

I currently have basslines quarter pounders installed as a passive system, with two volumes and one tone pot.

It sounds dull and lifeless, the bass is stringed with labella flats which I really like playing.

Right the question is, should I change the pickups? make them active with a preamp? What are your favourite set ups on your fretless?

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:75542]

Er why do you assume it's the PUs? It could be the amp, it could be crappy cables, it could be old strings.

You'll have to eliminate all other possible causes first before you get the soldering iron out.

A preamp isn't going to help per se, especially if you like the acoustic sound.

Have you tried other basses? Have you found one you like? You might be better off selling your bass unmolested and buying a bass with an amplified sound you do like.

Cheers
Davo

i have a tc stacatto through some barefaced so i'm kind of guessing thats alright!
i have been through about 15 basses in the last two years, this fretless is hand made custom that is a stayer.

What i'm kind of asking is for advice on pickup configurations / pre amp that get the best from my bass. Which just enhances the sound.

[quote name='patch006' timestamp='1324931855' post='1478622']
Hi All

I really enjoy playing my fretless, the thing is I much prefer the sound of it when it isn't plugged it to a amp I just don't think the pickups are doing it justice at all.

I currently have basslines quarter pounders installed as a passive system, with two volumes and one tone pot.

It sounds dull and lifeless, the bass is stringed with labella flats which I really like playing.

[/quote]
When does it sound 'dull and lifeless', acoustically or amplified? Are you associating that with the La Bellas? If you are. but want to keep the feel of flats. then try some TI flats.

I can't see that adding a preamp solves your problem - you already have a preamp with EQ on your amp, I presume.

As you like the sound of the bass acoustically, it reasonably follows that the strings aren't the issue. You need to find the setting on the amp that most accurately produces the acoustic tone (that you like) but louder.

This is what I do with my Double Bass, and it may help (or not). It is cheap and does no harm.

You will need a quiet room and a cup of tea.
Flatten all the controls (so they are neither cutting or boosting) on the amp and bass, and turn the volume (and passive tone) up on the bass and down on the amp.
All you should be able to hear is the 'acoustic' sound.
Turn the volume on the amp up slightly so it matches the acoustic sound in level.
Adjust the tone controls ( on both amp and bass) so the (quiet) amplified tone sound the same as the acoustic tone. Take your time and let your ears (not your eyes) be the judge.
If you think it is right turn the volume up so the amplified tone is a little louder...you can turn it back down if you lose 'your tone'.
I find after about 20 minutes my ability to discern diminishes, so make a note of the settings and stop the 'forensic' listening.
Come back to it the day after and see if you are still happy with the result. Adjust to taste.

If that doesn't work then new strings, pickups, preamps in a systematic manner might:)

Shaker

I would agree with shaker's comments, the only thing I would add is to look at how close the pickup pole pieces are to the strings,my preference is beteween 3-5 mm when strings fretted at the end of the neck, if the gap is too wide this will give you weak sound,also speaker choice will have some effect on your amplified sound, mike b.