Why become a member? ×

Have I devalued my Fender?

I_like_jazz

I have an 06 American standard 4 string jazz bass that I had converted into a fretless a couple of years ago. The instrument is in good condition and plays well but I was wondering if you think converting it into a fretless will have devalued it a lot? I was thinking of selling it and I was contemplating having it re-fretted first. Is this a good idea or would I just be wasting my money?

Bit of a "How long's a piece of string".
Depends on how good a job was done of the de-fret more than anything; some folk like having the slots filled with a contrasting wood or filler for appearances sake, some want the sleek all one piece board. Like all things being sold it's a case of the right buyer finding the right item & seller at the same time. Luckily there seems to be a bit of a resurgence in fretless palyers recently - unless they've all just decided to come to BC, so the demand should be there.

I'd say converting it has devalued it a fair bit, I'd be looking for a discount if I were buying it.
I'd guess that getting it refretted properly and selling it on would aslo leave you slightly out of pocket. Not really sure what a good refret job would cost!

As long as the work was professionally done it's not devalued your bass if someone will pay what you want for it, so suck it and see (i.e., list it for sale). If it doesn't sell a refret might be an option, but selling it at a price midway between what you'd like to get (e.g., £600) and your income from the sale following the refret (e.g. £500) might get you a quick sale and save the hassle.
C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1324475695' post='1474693']
As long as the work was professionally done it's not devalued your bass if someone will pay what you want for it, so suck it and see (i.e., list it for sale). If it doesn't sell a refret might be an option, but selling it at a price midway between what you'd like to get (e.g., £600) and your income from the sale following the refret (e.g. £500) might get you a quick sale and save the hassle.
C
[/quote]

That seems like a sensible idea!

[quote name='I_like_jazz' timestamp='1324474144' post='1474657']
I have an 06 American standard 4 string jazz bass that I had converted into a fretless a couple of years ago. The instrument is in good condition and plays well but I was wondering if you think [b]converting it into a fretless will have devalued it a lot[/b]? I was thinking of selling it and I was [b]contemplating having it re-fretted first. Is this a good idea or would I just be wasting my money[/b]?
[/quote]

Yes, and yes.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1324500544' post='1475076']
Having seen your pics in the FS section I must say I think the value has been affected quite a bit. The removal has resulted in quite a lot of tang damage and it's beyond having the slots filled with maple etc.... getting it re-fretted will salvage it.
[/quote]

Yer, I think I'm going leave it up there for a couple of weeks and get it re-fretted if there's no interest. With a bit of work it could be a desirable bass as it's in good nick otherwise.