Why become a member? ×

The Shadows backed up by a Sue Ryder Bass...

Schnozzalee

Sad thing is, it doesn't sound like it watches...
The rhythm guitar is acoustic in places, the drummer is hitting ride and it's sounding hats, lead is massively compressed for a combo with no pedals..., it's all for show like top of the pops...only the singing sounds live.. :-(

Are those little amps on the stage actually doing anything, and are the Shadows actually playing because If they are, wow to the sound and wow to a super tight performance.

Sue Ryder bass...are we talking about those charity shops... I saw a Fender bass and Strat copy in the Salisbury branch a couple of years ago...They're good then are they?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1324422175' post='1474187']
Sad thing is, it doesn't sound like it watches...
The rhythm guitar is acoustic in places, the drummer is hitting ride and it's sounding hats, lead is massively compressed for a combo with no pedals..., it's all for show like top of the pops...only the singing sounds live.. :-(
[/quote]Oh! you wrote that while I was asking!

Are you lot seriously asking if any of that clips sound was actually performed live?
For shame.
More mime than a provincial French town on Bastille day.
I suspect they asked to be supplied with red Fender shaped lumps of wood, and that`s what they got.
And now you made me watch the anti-christ.
Bugger.

Edited by Monckyman

Thing is, They've been playing since 1957...I used to have a 7" EP single of 'Cliff Richard and the Drifters' with a live version of a rocker called Apron Strings, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kbao1tF_7k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kbao1tF_7k[/url] and an bass led Instrumental called Jet Black (with shades of 'Move It) in there... The Live version wasn't bad considering... a couple of bum notes on the bass but a decent rolling bass line... Not bad for a bunch of 16 year olds all playing through a Vox AC30 or whatever...So I was prepared to believe that was live...Until I looked and listened closely....

• 2 weeks later...

My dad is a shadows nut, so I've grown up with all of the sounds and styles they've adopted through the decades.I can't be sure there isn't any miming going on in that clip, but believe me, they sound as tight as that when they are live - incredible group of muso's (individually as well as in the shads).
Oh, and thats Mark 'Griff' Griffiths......an amazing bassist, and a rather impressive jazz guitarist too. I think it may be a Sue Ryder bass, as I'm sure he had something to do with the stall that was set up at the northern shads convention a few years ago.