Why become a member? ×

New Dirty Loops Video - With Bass Solo!

AndyBob09

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324492532' post='1474954']
That's funny, I checked out Snarky Puppy the other day and they bored the sh*t out of me, all clearly very talented but it's from a very different world to Dirty Loops who thrill me.
[/quote]
+1

Love this band! So good - I mean not the sort of stuff I want to listen to all the time BUT part of me sees this as the next generation of PLAYERs coming through and saying 'Pop doesn't have to be dumbed down to be full off melody and hooks and be totally accessible..." I dig the attitude and the arrangements, bass solo's alright, but I love the interplay and the damn tightness of these guys... apparently lots of great new musicians coming up in Sweden now... I guess some of you will say Abba have a lot to answer for... personally this kind of thing gives me hope for the future with great playing, musicianship, enthusiasm and sheer enjoyment right smack bang in the middle of everything they do... IMO

[quote name='stonecoldbass' timestamp='1324498345' post='1475040']
Snarky Puppy are anything but boring...
[/quote]
I'm afraid they are to me. Two chords in odd metre, a run, horn solo, busy up the drums, bass solo, a tricky break into another two chords, a run, keys solo, get louder, drum fills, take down the dynamics of the two chords - make it quieter, let the drums imply a different beat and go a bit mad, get louder, make the two chords fierce, everyone join in and hip hop it a bit, big finale, loud high horn melody. Congratulations.

They are talented, brilliant, awesome, but it just doesn't speak to me. It sounds like variations on two chords with tricky bits and chops opportunities. And they look a bit smug but not in a fun way.

Sorry. I really can't dig it. It doesn't make my life better.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1324501412' post='1475089']
This is floating my boat. What a band. Fresh ideas. That Linders guys fills are totally omriginal. No cliches to my ears.

10/10
[/quote]
For some reason I am so glad you like this Bilbo. I think it's because it's a perfect blend of music and jazz :P

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1324501756' post='1475094']
Not in the video here in the OP

It's a Mattisson, a swedish company.

[url="http://mattissonbass.se/"]http://mattissonbass.se/[/url]

:)

thanks for that.......
[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324500454' post='1475073']
I'm afraid they are to me. Two chords in odd metre, a run, horn solo, busy up the drums, bass solo, a tricky break into another two chords, a run, keys solo, get louder, drum fills, take down the dynamics of the two chords - make it quieter, let the drums imply a different beat and go a bit mad, get louder, make the two chords fierce, everyone join in and hip hop it a bit, big finale, loud high horn melody. Congratulations.

They are talented, brilliant, awesome, but it just doesn't speak to me. It sounds like variations on two chords with tricky bits and chops opportunities. And they look a bit smug but not in a fun way.

Sorry. I really can't dig it. It doesn't make my life better.
[/quote]

That's fair enough. If I'm totally honest neither band have changed my life, just that I prefer Snarky Puppy, their sound sits better with the kind of music I enjoy.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324492532' post='1474954']
That's funny, I checked out Snarky Puppy the other day and they bored the sh*t out of me, all clearly very talented but it's from a very different world to Dirty Loops who thrill me.
[/quote] i totally agree... i appreciate Snarky P mind.. Dirtly Loops are no Incognito but there damn great to listen to.. very tight great music... especially his piano chords

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE the solo ... BUT! I have one tiny issue with it - The solo break is phenomenal and really fresh BUT then he plays a very similar lick at 1:59. I mean, when I hear something like this, I automatically think, "nah. I've already heard it". Does anyone agree? I just feel it takes away a tiny bit from what I think would be a perfect solo otherwise ...

*Hides in corner*

Oh, and I can't stop listening to this! At all!

It's awesome musicianship, really nice arrangement too, but it's an awful song. I like what they do with it, but I'd prefer to hear original music. I like when an original band throw in an unusual cover and make it a bit different, but their own music needs to be good enough too. For that reason I prefer the Snarky Puppy link, but I'll look into both bands as there was some great stuff from both.

• 2 weeks later...