Why become a member? ×

Amp on top or on floor?

4 Strings

I was brought up on big stacks and this reached a heady height with a Hiwatt on two 4x12s. Always put the amp on top.

Not quite so many years ago I my SWR was in a rattly flightcase and so I put this on end on the floor so it didn't rattle. I've done so ever since despite no longer using the flightcase. More recently I use a stand angling the cab back so no change required.

Anyone else put their amp somewhere other than the top of the (top) speaker?

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]My amp is on top of the cab but I put 2 thick pieces of foam in between so the amp doesn't rattle to pieces. I started doing this when I had all tube amps and just carried on with the SS amps I use now.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1324297280' post='1472615']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]My amp is on top of the cab but I put 2 thick pieces of foam in between so the amp doesn't rattle to pieces. I started doing this when I had all tube amps and just carried on with the SS amps I use now.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]
[/quote]

I do the same :) and for exactly the same reason.
I found some thick foam at work and my wife kindly made me some black covers to go over the foam and the finish looks just like my speaker cab.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1324256241' post='1472377']
More recently I use a stand angling the cab back so no change required.

Anyone else put their amp somewhere other than the top of the (top) speaker?
[/quote]
I started putting my Amp on the floor for this very reason. I got sick of searching around venues for matching beer crates. It does make it more awkward to turn up every few minutes :P

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1324297280' post='1472615']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]My amp is on top of the cab but I put 2 thick pieces of foam in between so the amp doesn't rattle to pieces. I started doing this when I had all tube amps and just carried on with the SS amps I use now.[/font][/color][/size]

[/quote]
Been doing this myself as vibrations from my lightweight 2x12 were suspected of loosening connections in my Markbass head!