Why become a member? ×

hartke 410xl or 4.5xl

johnsilva

The 4.5, having the tweeter, will have a more crisp high end. Of course this can be reduced by dropping your treble if you don`t like it. Whereas, it`s difficult to achieve that crispness on a can without a tweeter. So for versatility, the 4.5 wins.

+1 to SimWells - I prefer the lower girth and top of the 4.5XLs and would agree that the 410XL in comparison is punchier. The 4.5 is also heavier if that's something you need to take in to consideration.

Something worth mentioning if you're that way inclined, the .5's lil speaker is a midrange and treble unit, not just a tweeter, so it doesn't sound so independent from the rest of the can like some tweeters do. A smoother top end I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a double XL410 stack and I am happy as a pig in the mud!

I like a dirty and punchy bass sound and these cabs can deliver it.
The ones I use are from the first series, because they are rated '240 watts @ 8 ohm'
while the new(er) ones are 400 watts @ 8 ohm.

Still heavy though.

I used to play Hartke rigs and I owned both 410 models. I actually preffered the XL cab because I found the tweeter extremely hissy on the 4.5. When I switched it off completely there was very little difference in the tone of either cab, other than the 4.5 being a bit more shallow and deeper in tone. Great sounding cabs, but look after them as they don't like being cranked too high. I replaced three 10" speakers on just one tour!

• 1 year later...

Hi there !
I re-open an old topic to ask you something berore buying a new amp and cabs.
I play bass in a Death Metal Band and the drumer has a very loud play. I'm look for something enough sharp for the punch, enough clear to understand the bass line, but with a bit of depth in sound anyway.
I have an USA LTD F-254 dropped in C, with EMG pickups and EMG active egalizer.

I'll buy Hartke XL cabs with their aluminium cone drivers. I think I'll put a 15" (for the loud and the depth) aside a Xx10" (for the medium and clearness).
My question is about the 10" :

- the 115XL is given for 200W @ 8 ohm. If I take the 210XL I'll have 200W @ 8ohm too, and this could be easily transported.
- the 410 XL gives 400 W @ 8 ohm, that's too much aside the 115XL, very heavy. But the 4x10 is a bigger cab, wich means that the tone will be different. Moreover, the speakers will be higher from the floor, and will be more easy too hear.
- everyone seems to prefer the 4.5 XL, due too his different tone when using only 4.5 XL in comparision of the 410 XL. But I can't find any feedback about using the 4.5 XL aside a 115 XL cabinet. I fear this would be too loud or something...
- the last possibility would be the 2.5 XL, wich is a medley of everything before.

If someone could help me a bit.

PS : english isn't y natural speaking I do y best :P

The 115XL and 210XL make a great little rig and yes, if they are each 8 Ohms at 200W, that'll give you a 400W at 4 Ohms combination.

Yes, the 115XL and 410XL do sound different - again you can use them both together.

Yup, I have a 4.5XL and a 410XL. The 4.5XL wins every time. Deeper lows and that 5" midrange is wonderfully clear and way nicer than a tweeter chucked in to a cab with little thought for crossover design. The 410XL is a great cab though. Kinda wish they'd put a 5" in that too.

The 4.5XL as a stand alone cab is louder in the lows than a single 115XL.

I'd love to pair a 2.5XL with a 4.5XL to make a cool 6x10 rig, but the 2.5XL is no longer made and very hard to locate these days.