Why become a member? ×

Buzzing cab

BluRay

Hi chaps. I've noticed that my 410 has acquired a slight "background buzz". I've tried different amps, bass, cables etc - and the cab seems to be the culpret. I even cleared the room out to make sure it wasn't anything nearby (son's lego box was the primary suspect!).
There's no buzz when the bass volume is down, but its there in the background when I play a note. Its not drastic - but if you know its there, its annoying. Doesn't sound like full-on blown speaker or the sort of crackling you get with a dodgy connection. Any ideas what might be causing it? (its not the tweeter, as thats switched off)
Thanks!

Edited by BluRay

As above. Get the front grill off and play your bass through it with the note that causes the prob and one by one gently damp the speakers till the buzz stops.
If it does stop, you have found the prob speaker and may need to repair or replace it.
If it doesn`t, it`s more likely something loose on the cab.(A loose handle screw caused exactly this noise on one of mine).
Also, sometimes if you have a leak of air, round a grill or handle or socket plate, you`ll get compressed air trying to escape and that makes a higher pitched sizzle.
Good luck,
MM

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1323679120' post='1465585']
Hi chaps. I've noticed that my 410 has acquired a slight "background buzz". I've tried different amps, bass, cables etc - and the cab seems to be the culpret. I even cleared the room out to make sure it wasn't anything nearby (son's lego box was the primary suspect!).[/quote]

I had that once - on the advice of an older player who had a bigger T-shirt collection than me - he traced it to a loose glass lampshade on the ceiling light. :)

Another vote for a loose dust cap. I found it incredibly hard to track down in my 1212L as i couldn't see any gap or rip etc.

Might also be worth disconnecting all but one speaker and working your way around until you find the one that buzzes. It might even be one of the speaker wires touching one of the drivers and vibrating against it. If it happens on all then its probably a problem with the cab, maybe a loose joint.

The first Epifani UL112 i had also had a buzz, seemed worse on note with more low freq or when playing over the neck, i never figured that one out so took it back to the shop.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 1 month later...

Update for sake of closure. As people suggested, and it wasn't rocket science I'm pleased to say, I worked my way around the speakers - connecting until I found the culprit. Definitely a speaker. Funnily enough the buzz was still vaguely there with the offending speaker in but not connected (but not when I moved it out completely) so I guess its the air from the others was enough to make it resonate a bit on its own.

I emailed Ashdown and they were very helpful. Sorted me out with a replacement at what seemed (to me, anyway) to be very reasonable price. Top people.

The only snag was that the replacement was a visual missmatch with the others. Its a blueline speaker and the black bit in the middle (whatever that's called), was a totally different size to the others. So it looked like this :blink: I've asked them nicely to swap for a matching one, so hopefully they wont mind and will have one in stock. Never occurred to me to that the spec would change - so that was a lesson learned!

I've got this now on my EBS 4x10 - bit embarrassing when someone comes to have a noodle through it in anticipation of a sale :(

Had the speaker grille off and think I've tracked it down to the top-right speaker, so will have to try the tips out above - it seems to be worse with the 'E'-string around the 5th fret (A), plus/minus a tone/couple of frets, although I've run the cab off of my CD player and power amp, using the Alan Parsons Soundcheck CD, it's useful for spot freqs (50Hz and 63Hz seem the worse), plus using the uncompressed 'Bass Guitar' track - I can definitely hear the rattle.

Ta,
Ian