Why become a member? ×

If something awful or wonderful happened in your life, how did it, or would it, affect your musicality?

xilddx

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1323474744' post='1463875']

I don’t mean to upset you or anyone else, but I think that you and others are expecting too much from music, despite it’s obvious importance to your life (and to mine for that matter)

The one time that I had anything like serious problems in my life, it had a negative impact on my playing (despite being a bit of a refuge), simply because it affected my concentration levels.

I think that you should enjoy playing music simply for what it is rather than projecting any other problems you may have into it……

edit: that this a general statement and is not especially meant to relate you
[/quote]
So what is music if not a representation of the person performing it?

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1323474744' post='1463875']
I don’t mean to upset you or anyone else, but I think that you and others are expecting too much from music, despite it’s obvious importance to your life (and to mine for that matter)

The one time that I had anything like serious problems in my life, it had a negative impact on my playing (despite being a bit of a refuge), simply because it affected my concentration levels.

I think that you should enjoy playing music simply for what it is rather than projecting any other problems you may have into it……

edit: that this a general statement and is not especially meant to relate you
[/quote]
Thanks for that Input C3PO :)

All I am trying to say is that playing music should be a positive thing that one should take joy in and should not be over intellectualised

I don’t know if you have read the Bill Bruford autobiography (as referenced in the Robert Fripp thread), but just compare his rather joyless outlook on playing music to that of Roy Haines, the veteran jazz drummer, who he seems so in awe of and who was still touring at the age of 83, purely for the love of it………….

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1323477023' post='1463895']
All I am trying to say is that playing music should be a positive thing that one should take joy in and should not be over intellectualised

I don’t know if you have read the Bill Bruford autobiography (as referenced in the Robert Fripp thread), but just compare his rather joyless outlook on playing music to that of Roy Haines, the veteran jazz drummer, who he seems so in awe of and who was still touring at the age of 83, purely for the love of it………….
[/quote]
I read it recently Pete. People have all sorts of complex motives for making music. Some people do it to get shagged, some do it as a political tool, some do it to heal themselves. You surely can't advocate only one facet of motivation, or tell people to stop feeling how they feel and expressing their feelings through music. Life isn't all KISS and Westlife mate, where would we be without music that came from the pain and beauty of what is to be frail and human? Music teaches us about what it is to be human, whether that's Son House, Miles Davis, or Stravinsky.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1323477832' post='1463900']
I read it recently Pete. People have all sorts of complex motives for making music. Some people do it to get shagged, some do it as a political tool, some do it to heal themselves. You surely can't advocate only one facet of motivation, or tell people to stop feeling how they feel and expressing their feelings through music. Life isn't all KISS and Westlife mate, where would we be without music that came from the pain and beauty of what is to be frail and human? Music teaches us about what it is to be human, whether that's Son House, Miles Davis, or Stravinsky.
[/quote]
I kind of agree, but the principle motive for making music should be for the sheer joy of doing so - be it pop, metal, jazz, classical , blues or whatever.....

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1323478205' post='1463901']

I kind of agree, but the principle motive for making music should be for the sheer joy of doing so - be it pop, metal, jazz, classical , blues or whatever.....
[/quote]
So what intellectual process did you go through to arrive at this conclusion?

I don't have a choice about making music. I HAVE to do it, or I wither and die. I tried it once. Don't misunderstand me, I get a lot of joy from writing and playing, but I get plenty of pain too. Music without humanity is just machine or language operation, or manipulation for financial gain.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1323479342' post='1463908']
So what intellectual process did you go through to arrive at this conclusion?

I don't have a choice about making music. I HAVE to do it, or I wither and die. I tried it once. Don't misunderstand me, I get a lot of joy from writing and playing, but I get plenty of pain too. Music without humanity is just machine or language operation, or manipulation for financial gain.
[/quote]
There is no intellectual process, playing music is what I do and always have done and to an extent is what defines me

It can bring with it a certain amount of frustration when you cannot achieve what you think that you are capable of, but the main reason for playing is for the joy of doing so (a few quid at the end of the night doesn't hurt)

Most of the best players I have met in many years of being in bands are the least precious about the process of making music!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1323467410' post='1463810']
I'm fascinated to know how you think music has let you down.
[/quote]

I guess it's because music has always been the one constant thing in my life that has helped me through the tough times (and made the great times even better), and now I need that more than ever it's just not happening.

Music was always the most important, inspirational, life affirming thing in my life; now I think it's just a load of dumb noise.

Edited by RhysP

Some interesting PoVs in this thread, and many that make me feel glad that music is still something that I find inspiring and important, because otherwise I think I'd have serious problems justifying my continued existence to myself.

TBH for the last 20 years my personal life has been a mess. I spent far too long working too hard for too many hours with people who I didn't really like. I've not has so much as sniff of a relationship. Through all of that the one thing that has made me happy has been playing and listening to music. Luckily right now I'm in a kick-ass band and probably haven't felt this fired up about playing since I was in my early 20s.

ATM I'm grateful that this is all happening, and I'm going to do my best to make sure that it continues to happen for as long as possible.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1323493728' post='1463932']
I guess it's because music has always been the one constant thing in my life that has helped me through the tough times (and made the great times even better), and now I need that more than ever it's just not happening.

Music was always the most important, inspirational, life affirming thing in my life; now I think it's just a load of dumb noise.
[/quote]

Isn't that a litle bit like walking away from a lifelong friend just because they aren't able to help with something you are going through at the moment?

I guess the saving grace is that music will still be there waiting for you, as it always was in the past, and wont hold it against you. :)

There are some interesting POVs, aren't there?

My father died 20 years ago (aged 51) but it didn't really change what I played, though sometimes the emotions might have surfaced as grief or anger in the way I played at the time (I don't do set solos, only improvise). When our daughter was killed 6 years ago, I put a band together for the funeral and a concert at the school in her memory. We played one particular song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du0il6d-DAk) for both, and it is now difficult for my wife and myself to hear it without reliving all the emotions of the time. But as before, it didn't fundamentally change the way I played, though at times both sadness and anger would come out in the playing.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1323466117' post='1463792']
I spent most of the mid 90's feeling pretty miserable and sorry for myself (I realise now that, in comparison to some peoples problems mine were a bit petty) So, I went out, started a band and along with the guitarist/singer wrote some pretty good songs, recorded some of them and played some pretty good gigs.
[/quote]

[quote name='The Hold Steady']
Well I got bored when I didn't have a band, so I started a band, man; we're gonna start it with a positive jam.
[/quote]

:)