Why become a member? ×

Markbass Advice, Please! Thanks!

discreet

I'm gigging in a band that always uses its own PA/desk/monitoring so I want to ditch the bass cab... I have recently acquired a Markbass LM250 and according to Markbass I can use it without connecting to a cab, so effectively the amp then becomes a pre-amp/tone shaper/active DI box. Markbass recommend setting the input gain as you would normally and setting the master output to zero.

My (possibly stupid) question is, when used as above, is the signal from the DI output PRE or POST the EQ and VLE VPF filters? I thank you...

Markbass acually state that their DI's are pre EQ and pre filters. so would not help you using just the amp stand alone. But my LMK is actually wired post EQ.from new, I don't know why. Markbass also say this can be changed internally, by a " qualified Technician"

you check it when Di'ed through the band PA, just adjust the EQ drastically and ask the sound guy to listen if it is changing, then you'll know for sure.

Thanks for all the very useful and interesting info guys (and gals - if any)! :)
And to confuse the issue, this just in from an enquiry I made to Markbass Italy:

[size=2]Hi Mark, thanks for your enquiry and for choosing Markbass.[/size]
[size=2]By default your LM250's DI Line Out is set to POST EQ and Filters.[/size]
[size=2]Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.[/size]
[size=2]Best regards[/size]
[size=2]Riccardo Damiani[/size]
[size=2]Markbass Artist Relations, Italy[/size]
[size=2]Online Customer Service[/size]
[size=2]PARKSEK SRL[/size]
[size=2]Via PO 52 66020 San Giovanni Teatino (CH) ITALY[/size]

Once again I've mixed Butter with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and now I don't know what to believe! :)
So I will (as very sensibly suggested by deepbass5 in post #2), check it with our sound guy at the next gig.

Edited by discreet

So now it looks as though my amp's DI is most probably set to POST EQ, I found this on a similar thread on TalkBass, referring to whether, in a DI-only situation, the bass should be pre- or post-EQ:

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2]It's not a matter of preference. Post EQ makes sense for recording, if you want some of the tone of the amp be part of your tone. However, for DI to Front Of House PA support in a live situation, post EQ can be disastrous, and most sound professionals prefer (and even require) a pure, clean pre-EQ signal.[/size]

[size=2]This is for two primary reasons, IMO: 1) the EQ required when using a bass cab is usually VERY different from the EQ that would sound good through a PA (i.e. four tens and a little tweeter react quite differently to large subs and PA horns, and 2) nothing will mess up a mix and drive a sound person more nuts than the bass signal to the board changing in tone and volume based on stage adjustments.[/size][/font]

So what do you think... should I change my amp so that the DI is PRE EQ now!!?? :)

Edited by discreet

I would personally keep it Post EQ. For one thing the filters can be useful, as can the EQ so it would be a bit pointless just going pre, you might as well just hook up a DI box. The second reason i would go with post is that a lot (or at least some) people find the DI out a bit hit or miss as far as level and/or quality goes. Having a bit of EQ could help with that.

Also make sure you tell your sound guy the DI is actually line level and not mic, he might need to make allowances for this.

Try both situations and go with the one you get best results. Since you're not using a cab you won't be fiddling with the amp's EQ on stage (you'll be monitored and that's gonna be controled by the soundman aswell) so there's no reason why the sound guy should have troubles with you. Just try it, take a screwdriver with you for your next gig, takl to the sound man and make the experiment with Pre and Post EQ DI.

Cheers

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1323175433' post='1460080']
ok i am not the quickest off the mark (bass) see what i did
[/quote]

No no, I wasn't being sarcastic (for a change), genuine thanks! All info gratefully received, and thanks very much to everyone who has so far contributed to the thread, some extremely interesting info, advice and viewpoints! :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1323175092' post='1460069']
...there's no reason why the sound guy should have trouble with you... take a screwdriver with you for your next gig...
[/quote]

That's a bit confrontational, isn't it? I want to get him on board, if possible! :)
Seriously though, trying both is a sensible idea, thanks...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1323175024' post='1460068']
I would personally keep it Post EQ. For one thing the filters can be useful, as can the EQ so it would be a bit pointless just going pre, you might as well just hook up a DI box.
[/quote]

I was leaning in this direction. Also, if I keep it POST, I won't have to do anything! Thanks for the opinion! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1323170689' post='1459979']
So what do you think... should I change my amp so that the DI is PRE EQ now!!?? :)
[/quote]

If you are using the preamp purely as a tone-shaping device then it makes no sense to change it to pre, under those circumstances you'd be better off getting a high quality DI box!

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1323178149' post='1460135']
If you are using the preamp purely as a tone-shaping device then it makes no sense to change it to pre, under those circumstances you'd be better off getting a high quality DI box!
[/quote]

I think you're right, I'm not going to go PRE. I will try the LM250 [i]and [/i]a decent active DI box though (separately), out of interest. Then I won't have to mess with the LM250.

I DI from my combo (LMII head) & have left it on Post so that sound I get isn't completely different to what's coming out the PA.
I tried changing jumpers about but left them at factory defaults (I never use the FX loop, though I did experiment).

Interesting to see a Markbass with external switch, My LMK has not,(circa 1995) I did get out my manual before replying and it does state that they are factory set to be pre EQ. even though mine was post. If Markbass changed that in later models that should be noted, I thought i should state this as this thread may confuse others who find it later. This could also be an English translation typo ?
I am happy with my DI set to post EQ for recording as I can ensure the desk is getting my sound, if the engineer wants to strip that back to flat I'll argue that later. For live Di mixing I agree a pre EQ would be prefered, but most companies will want you though one of their DI boxes anyway. But I have had some good comments from some theatres on the quality of the MB DI

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1323197126' post='1460510']
Interesting to see a Markbass with external switch, My LMK has not (circa 1995). I did get out my manual before replying and it does state that they are factory set to be pre EQ, even though mine was post. If Markbass changed that in later models that should be noted, I thought I should state this as this thread may confuse others who find it later.
[/quote]

Quite right, good call. :)