Why become a member? ×

Sansamp preamp

MAIDEN CITY

Basically, I'm looking to find out if with the set up I have that, as has been advised to me, that to use a Sansamp Preamp will give me the sound I need to get the sound I need for an Iron Maiden Tribute Band.I have a Line6 PRO XT, but I just wanted to enquire to other bassists what they would suggest, as the Sansamp set up looks more straight forward than the Pro XT, as I'm not into gadgets and that.Plus, to download stuff via USB is completely wasted on me.
Advice would be appreciated.Marshall Head, and 2 Marshall Bass 4 x 12's being used live.

I have had both and to be honest the Bass Pod would murder the Sansamp in every way- the modelling amps are superb and there is a Sansamp pedal in the effects which basically sounds exactly the same as the Sansamp.

The compressor in the Pod is very high quality, its got a tuner, they are very cheap- I have two, a Live Pod which cost me £130 of ebay and a Bass Pod ( which I use most of all as its a bit smaller than the Live Pod ) which again cost me £86 off ebay with a case included.

The only downside is you really have to spend a few hours programming this to find out the best tone for you. Make no mistake, the pre-programmed tones are abysmal, and with this thing less is very much more. I tend to use the compressor and one amp model, the GK 800 tone- which Line 6 call "Eighties". With a bit of time there is nothing this box cant do. The sansamp, whilst built like a tank is really a one trick pony.

Thumperbob speaks the truth. You already have what you need.

Of course the SansAmp is simpler to use, it does one thing, the POD does 1,000s of things.

Spend some time crafting your patches and you have sounds for all seasons.

I have a POD X3 LIVE, no amp or cab. I go straight to the PA. I simply can't imagine using anything else, except the next generation of POD.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1323163271' post='1459846']
Thumperbob speaks the truth. You already have what you need.

Of course the SansAmp is simpler to use, it does one thing, the POD does 1,000s of things.

Spend some time crafting your patches and you have sounds for all seasons.

I have a POD X3 LIVE, no amp or cab. I go straight to the PA. I simply can't imagine using anything else, except the next generation of POD.
[/quote]

What setting do you use pal?- I use mine going into my effects return on my Lm2 and take a DI out to the pa. Are you using in ears?

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1323166482' post='1459902']
What setting do you use pal?- I use mine going into my effects return on my Lm2 and take a DI out to the pa. Are you using in ears?
[/quote]

I use the Studio XLR outs, usually mono into a single channel on the desk (no separate DI box is necessary). I go stereo if possible, into two channels panned hard left and right. I rely on stage monitoring, can't be arsed with IEM

I have to admit that I a Pod XT Live and really struggled to get a sound that didn't come across as 'over-processed' but I only ever used the standard patches and didn't try to re-programme anything.

Conversely I've tried a few Sansamp products and seem to be able to dial in a really nice tone (or variations of tones with the pedals that allow you to store 2-3 different settings) with very little effort or tweaking at all :)

Just 'horses for courses' I guess!

Hey guys, I just have to chime in - and can be corrected if I am wrong - but if you are wanting a Steve Harris bass tone, you need neither a Pod or a Sansamp. Steve played a large part of his career with just a Trace Elliot preamp, straight in to power amps and then 4x12 cabs with EV speakers in right? No modelling or crazy gubbins. So I'd say, the only think you might want in the set up you have already to add the signature clicky top end might be a graphic equaliser pedal. The P Bass with an SD pickup like Steves will do the rest for ya! - Turn it up loud and play lightly. :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1323180209' post='1460173']
I have to admit that I a Pod XT Live and really struggled to get a sound that didn't come across as 'over-processed' but I only ever used the standard patches and didn't try to re-programme anything.

Conversely I've tried a few Sansamp products and seem to be able to dial in a really nice tone (or variations of tones with the pedals that allow you to store 2-3 different settings) with very little effort or tweaking at all :)

[b]Just 'horses for courses' I guess![/b]
[/quote]

Just 'sheer laziness' I guess!

:) :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1323180209' post='1460173']

Just 'horses for courses' I guess!
[/quote]

I went the other way- from the Sansamp BDDI to the Pod. Seem to have spent my life programming whatever I had ( lots ). Cannot believe how anyone could use the standard patches- especially live where even the most conservative patch is too much. The absence of a mid control really did it for the Sansamp.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1323188101' post='1460305']
I went the other way- from the Sansamp BDDI to the Pod. Seem to have spent my life programming whatever I had ( lots ). Cannot believe how anyone could use the standard patches- especially live where even the most conservative patch is too much. [b]The absence of a mid control really did it for the Sansamp.[/b]
[/quote]

That's why I got a ParaDriver. Still ended up getting a POD. The Hartke VXL Bass Attack was the best sounding Active DI I've had.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1323180912' post='1460186']
Steve played a large part of his career with just a Trace Elliot preamp, straight in to power amps and then 4x12 cabs with EV speakers in right?
[/quote]

And a Peavey bass rig very early on.

Hey guys, I just have to chime in - and can be corrected if I am wrong - but if you are wanting a Steve Harris bass tone, you need neither a Pod or a Sansamp. Steve played a large part of his career with just a Trace Elliot preamp, straight in to power amps and then 4x12 cabs with EV speakers in right? No modelling or crazy gubbins. So I'd say, the only think you might want in the set up you have already to add the signature clicky top end might be a graphic equaliser pedal. The P Bass with an SD pickup like Steves will do the rest for ya! - Turn it up loud and play lightly. :)
[/quote]

Spot on [b]dood[/b]

[/quote]

I pretty much agree with this, I've had a sansamp and its nothing like the steve harris sound, I've never heard bout him using Trace pre amps though, everything I've read says Hiwatt 200watt amps but he has them custom made as they not made anymore. Anyway not wanting to get into a steve harris gear thread I'd say your speaker and amp should be just about right on ther own kept fairly flat with a little mid scooped out. Steady with the bottom end so the clank comes through with adding treble. If you really want that sound I strung an old P bass copy with his signiture flat wound strings. Now thats a big part of his sound although it takes some getting use to, his style/sound make so much more sense as they're like rods of steel and respond to a very low action and light touch steve has.