Why become a member? ×

fender 70s jazz bass and badass 2 bridge

geofio

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1323997653' post='1469743']

I think the BBOT is cheap and nasty and poor engineering. I know most people love them and that's fine. I just don't.

[/quote]

BBOT certainly looks cheap and nasty but its not poor engineering. Just simple. We're used to over-engineering (ally wheels on a family car for example and, dare I say, complex guitar bridges), the BBOT can't be accused of that. It allows adequate adjustments for the tolerances of Fender's mass production, is easy to use and dead cheap with no accurate machining required - its very good engineering albeit ugly.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1324165117' post='1471507']
BBOT certainly looks cheap and nasty but its not poor engineering. Just simple. We're used to over-engineering (ally wheels on a family car for example and, dare I say, complex guitar bridges), the BBOT can't be accused of that. It allows adequate adjustments for the tolerances of Fender's mass production, is easy to use and dead cheap with no accurate machining required - its very good engineering albeit ugly.
[/quote]

It does the job so no disagreement there. And yes, it can be adjusted to cover manufacturing tolerances so that's all good. Except for the original two saddle version of course which couldn't.

But I think "good engineering" has an elegance to it that is lacking on the BBOT.

But never mind. It's all just a matter of opinion anyway and mine happens to differ from yours. So we're possibly both right and /or both wrong. :D

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1324238786' post='1472203']
It does the job so no disagreement there. And yes, it can be adjusted to cover manufacturing tolerances so that's all good. Except for the original two saddle version of course which couldn't.

But I think "good engineering" has an elegance to it that is lacking on the BBOT.

But never mind. It's all just a matter of opinion anyway and mine happens to differ from yours. So we're possibly both right and /or both wrong. :D

Frank.
[/quote]

Potatoes and, oh...

The BBOT is actually elegant in its simplicity and cheapness. The Yanks are great at this sort of thing, crude but effective. Other fender examples include a string tree instead of angling the headstock, neck joint by simply screwing it on, setting frets into the neck. All elegant in simplicity and not necessarily improved by more aesthetic and expensive alternatives. Mass production, don't you love it!

My car has the standard steering wheel.

The big drawback with the BBOT is that it allows very little lateral correction as your saddle grooves are pre cut and not adjustable.
As the previous owner of Frank's 70's RI, I encountered a common Fender problem whereby the slightly off placement of the original bridge could not allow for the strings to run equidistantly between the pole pieces. Fitting the BAII corrected this, allowing the strings to follow, unimpeded by a "one bridge for all" solution the line they required.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1324291704' post='1472520']
The big drawback with the BBOT is that it allows very little lateral correction as your saddle grooves are pre cut and not adjustable.
[/quote]

The old spiral groove bridge saddles were better in this regard. Out of interest, did you notice a tonal difference on the 70s RI after the change?

Just have to add this:
For whatever reason, to me the BBOT looks great on a Precision whereas a Badass II just looks bulky. On a jazz however, the nicely engineered offset body just needs a bit flash, especially if the neck is blocked and bound, and a BBOT just looks wrong. On pre 70's jazzes however, I again prefer the BBOT. What, superficial, me? :) Tonewise, a nice light P or Jazz to me sounds more woody and warm with a BBOT, and a 70's Jazz sounds more growly and aggressive with a Badass. YMMV and all that.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1324331031' post='1473197']
The old spiral groove bridge saddles were better in this regard. [b]Out of interest, did you notice a tonal difference on the 70s RI after the change?[/b]
[/quote]
Perhaps a slight additional tightness to the top end although as with all these things nothing that would be noticed in a band situation. My aim with the BA was to produce an even response over the strings and to fit a unit which would be regarded an asset should I sell.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1324334891' post='1473258']
Perhaps a slight additional tightness to the top end although as with all these things nothing that would be noticed in a band situation.
[/quote]

Cheers for the info. I switched a BBOT over to a Fender 'deluxe' bridge on my Jap 75, which although not the latest HMV unit was substantially thicker than the thing on there before. My subjective impression was that it made a small difference to the note definition, 'tightness' as you say, but I've never had a BA bridge to hand to try out, and don't fancy forking out to satisfy idle curiosity!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1324434304' post='1474270']
Nope, its like noticing an improvement in acceleration with the new ally wheels on your car. It may, or may not be there but you'd never actually notice it.
[/quote]
I respectfully disagree strongly with that point of view, but to each his own I guess. ;) :)

Nope, its like noticing an improvement in acceleration with the new ally wheels on your car. It may, or may not be there but you'd never actually notice it.
[/quote]
I think a better analogy would be it is more like replacing a worn timing belt. No doubt the engine will run more efficiently (fuel consumption down a smidge and acceleration tighter than before) but the overall "performance" (pun intended) remains the same. Yet despite it's limited impact, some drivers may swear blind that replacing the timing belt alone makes them feel like they are going faster.

[/quote]

Off topic (sorry) but...alloy wheels are used to reduce the unsprung weight thereby improving handling and therefore perfomance.

Hardly relevent in a family car though. Except that they look good to some peoples eyes. <_<

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1324471341' post='1474570']
Off topic (sorry) but...alloy wheels are used to reduce the unsprung weight thereby improving handling and therefore perfomance.

Hardly relevent in a family car though. Except that they look good to some peoples eyes. <_<

Frank.
[/quote]

Hardly relevant for any car being driven on the road. That is the point. The improvement may or may not be there but will not be noticed - unless you really want it to be and we'll all notice those things.

Fitting after market bridges is fine and usually improves the sound. However if this is a genuine original Fender - do not throw away the original bridge. If you want to sell it later,it is better to have the original equipment on it. Oh yeah and never fit anything that means you drill extra holes in the body - Disaster if you do that.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1325286359' post='1481900']
Fitting after market bridges is fine and usually improves the sound. However if this is a genuine original Fender - do not throw away the original bridge. If you want to sell it later,it is better to have the original equipment on it. Oh yeah and never fit anything that means you drill extra holes in the body - Disaster if you do that.
[/quote]

Disaster? Are they sacred? Are the only people allowed to make a hole a bit of wood with a fender transfer on the end those who operate the machines in a mass produced guitar factory? Guitars are personal, I would encourage anyone to make them more so, even if its irreversible. Fenders aren't rare, tens of thousands of them come rolling into the world every year, a bit of work improving them might (or might not) lose (or gain) £50 on a selling-on price, but who cares?