Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hartke hydrive 1x15 - 500W power rating discrepancy?

steve-bbb

this is not about the fleabay sale per se which is why have placed in this forum - more about the ebay listers comments about the factory stated power rating

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hartke-Hydrive-HX115-1x15-Bass-Guitar-Cabinet-Cab-/130606992048?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1e68c88ab0"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hartke-Hydrive-HX115-1x15-Bass-Guitar-Cabinet-Cab-/130606992048?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1e68c88ab0[/url]

anybody out there in BC land own a 1x15 hydrive and could comment on this please? (i currently have a 4x10 hydrive and am looking at getting the 1x15 to upgrade my current 1x15 carpet covered hartke and naturally would like to top it all off with the lh500 or 1000)

is this down to the difference between 'regular rip-off the customer with bigger wattage' watts and 'watts RMS'

just off to download the pdf form the hartke website and see what it says

I'd bet good money that in the real world it won't handle much more than 100W without distorting, and running an LH1000 (which is a truly powerful amp) into a stack with a 4x10" on top will lead to premature 15" death if things get loud: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/did-i-kill-my-cabinet-hartke-lh1000-content-829409/

I'd take both the eBay lister and the TalkBass posts with a pinch of salt as it says nothing about how the cabinet or indeed about how the gear is being used. e.g. driving excessive low end (sub frequencies) in to it. I'd say that about any person making general comments about any gear. There's no fact in the reference to the power handling. I could make a speaker cabinet 'fart out' with not a great deal of power which could lead to premature failure of the speaker. Or maybe, just unlucky, the guy had a faulty cabinet? It does happen after all.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1322745042' post='1455198']
I'd take both the eBay lister and the TalkBass posts with a pinch of salt as it says nothing about how the cabinet or indeed about how the gear is being used. e.g. driving excessive low end (sub frequencies) in to it. I'd say that about any person making general comments about any gear. There's no fact in the reference to the power handling. I could make a speaker cabinet 'fart out' with not a great deal of power which could lead to premature failure of the speaker. Or maybe, just unlucky, the guy had a faulty cabinet? It does happen after all.
[/quote]
good point - im inclined to agree as ive not had much in the way of adverse feedback on here that would support the original ebay posters 'opinion' or found anywhere else on the interweb

my own gut feeling is to go with the hydrive 1x15 and the lh500 - my hydrive 4x10 is a beast and im very confident of its capabilities so hopefully will be likewise for the 1x15

Hi Steve. If it were me I'd go for another Hydrive 4x10 and the LH1000.
I've recently purchased a Hydrive 4x10 and the LH1000 and absolutely love them. I used to have a Hartke rig a few years back with the XL cabs and the HA head. But since buying these recently I really love them.

When I tried the LH1000 in the shop I tried it with the Hydrive 8x10 and it was an absolute tone monster. If you go for another 4x10 you'll get the same sound, but have more portability.
I got my 4x10 for under £480 delivered from Thomann.de, which seems a really great price.
I'm sure the LH500 would have been loud enough for me, but if you're gonna run two cabs then you may as well get the LH1000 and have the extra head room.

I spoke to another Basschatter a while back who got the full Hydrive rig when it first came out before moving it on. He said the 1x15 was nowhere near as loud or punchy as the 4x10. In his words 'I wish I'd gone for two 4x10's instead of the 1x15, they're much better cabs'. Plus all those 10's stacked up high will look awesome on stage and surely make you a far better Bass player!!!

Edited by Who's Who

+1 for the second 410. The 115 will not add enough to the sound to make it worth buying. I have tried my lh1000 with both setups, and the 2x 410 is much clearer. Plus the 115 will wear out alot quicker than the 410, as it will be being driven much harder than the 410.

• 2 weeks later...