Why become a member? ×

Possible Interesting Find At Glasgow Car Boot Sale This Morning

kingofthestuntmen

Just back from local car boot sale where I passed on what appears to be an all original Avon/Rose Morris EB copy. I'm not very familiar with Gibbo's, but 2 pups would make it an EB-3, yes..?

Guy wanted £60 but, as I've had stuff off him before, he was open to an offer. Couple of things stopped me taking it;

- gap in the neck pocket of approx 2 millimetres on the treble side & a possible minor alignment issue with bolt on neck.

- I'd be buying to sell so restring, setup etc might mean taking a hit rather than making a profit.

- The wife'd take a dim view as I've already got a couple '[i]project[/i]s' on the go.

Anyway, what do y'all reckon, have i dodged a bullet or shot myself in the foot..? There's a good chance it'll still be there next week so I'll do some research in the meantime.

I learnt on one (Rose) and would pay £60 to never have to play it again :)

That said for £60 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-G-REPLICA-BASS-LATE-60s-ROSE-MORRIS-LOOKS-AND-SOUNDS-REAL-EARTHY-/250896508155"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-G-REPLICA-BASS-LATE-60s-ROSE-MORRIS-LOOKS-AND-SOUNDS-REAL-EARTHY-/250896508155[/url]
might be a profit in it?

Cheers Pete, I'd had a quick look on Fleabay via the mobile while I was there but didn't find much and I'll do a bit more research this afternoon.

Got an auction closing tonite for my Vester P copy, and it's looking promising, so I may be in a position to acquire it next week (if it doesn't sell in the meantime)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1322390194' post='1450109']
I guess the losses are not massive so its worth a punt, might be fun to smash it up at a gig one day :) I feel your pain Mart, We used a Carlsbro 100watt head with 4 channels which in our eyes at the time meant Bass, Guitar 1, Guitar 2 and Vocals through it into a 1x15 speaker :) who needs a PA when your 11? :)
[/quote]

Ha ha - yes, that rings a bell. After all, why did they put all those inputs there if they didn't mean you to use them all? :o

Don't know about the Avon EB3 but my first bass (back in 1978) was a Columbus EB3 copy which was a corker - did the job for me anyway - although it was rather overshadowed by the MM Stingray I had the good fortune to acquire 3 years later!

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' timestamp='1322388691' post='1450085']
gap in the neck pocket of approx 2 millimetres on the treble side & a possible minor alignment issue with bolt on neck.
[/quote]

If it was a 70's Fender with the same issues people would be w***ing over it & happily paying £1000 +

I've got an Avon jazz copy that's been de-fretted, it's got some issues with it - input jack dodgy, neck pickup not working (or possibly wiring gone), needs new pots and nut and the bloke sorting it out for me tells me there's a twist in the neck.

Odds are once it' sorted i'll take it up the jam night a couple of times and then probably sell it, don't know if i'll make a profit but be nice to have a fretless to mess about with for a bit