Why become a member? ×

Dead Bottom E String

ianwild16

I foolishly decided to change my strings a couple of weeks ago.
I used a set of Rotosound Swing bass 0.45's on a Fender P.
However after approx one week the low E sring had gone completely dead, with no sustain - open or fretted.
One thing a noticed was that the red material winding on the string came past my bridge saddle.
I also managed to cut the string too short when i was putting it on, so it only had 1 1/2 windings on the tuning peg.
Would these two things cause the dulling? or do you reckon it was a faulty string?
I've never had it happen to me before in 20yrs of playing guitars - and I've put some pretty dodgy cheapo strings on some pretty dodgy cheapo guitars.
I ended up buying a set of Elites from a local shop, which cost me 18 quid, coz i had a gig that night and i couldn't bear to listen to it any more.
Its fine now - and the red material winding at the bridge end is considerably shorter than the Roto's.

^_^ It could be your action..never experianced the red material to go past the bridge, so maybe it is a flaw..

Roto's are quite good strings the first time you put them on, snappy tone, I cud say amazing..

Day 2 - yeah, these seem to be holding quite well...

Day 3 - *snap* oh no, dead already?..

This also happened with cheapie strings (I wanted to try out) called Cheetah, they (IMO) practically seem lifeless after 30 mins :wacko:

I think from my experiances not leaving enough slack for the string makes the odds of breaking more likely...esp with the G string.

:) I rarely buy them, Elites are an excellant choice as well as Warwick EMP.

[quote name='clauster' post='164612' date='Mar 27 2008, 04:49 PM']I'm another one who finds Rotos fantastic when new, but they don't half go off quick.

+1 for Elites.[/quote]

I've found the same problem with Roto's won't touch them now..

You could try swapping the nut if swapping the strings doesn't work, although it sounds like that is the problem. You don't say what model P you have, but if it's a Mexican one then a new nut would be a good idea anyway. The plastic ones they come with are gash, a nice brass or even a GraphTech one would be a huge improvement.

I don't like rotos because they're too bright for me all the time, even after they've dulled. I go for ernie balls because they're nowhere near as snappy.

But the problem could be the strings, just try putting on your old strings if you kept them or put on a new batch of what you normally use.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Pedro1020' post='164710' date='Mar 27 2008, 07:12 PM']I know I'm not keen on nickels, but has anyone tried the Rotosound nickels?[/quote]

I liked them when I had them on my VMJ, granted I had EB Slinkies on it before, but I find them warmer with a more rounded sound.

They might go back on, I'm starting to dislike the rotoflats due to the tension, even though the sound really good.