Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

I agree Walker. For the money its fantastic. i only use mine with covers band type gigs and you can quickly get close to any sound you need in the wide range of sounds required for such a gig. It's never going to rival £1k worth of pedalboard in terms of quality and depth, but its 90% there for 10% of the money. And only 1% of people would notice the difference if we're all honest!

The only thing that annoys me is that it automatically overwrites everything - if you make an adjustment, next time you come back to that patch its still adjusted. It would be nice to have the option to revert unless saved... But apart from that its great and it has reduced the weight of my gig bag considerably!

Totally agree with you two, I've done a good 20 gigs with it now ... All covers gigs ranging from small functions to medium pubs and big nightclubs .. had nothing but compliments from my pretty hard to please band mates and zero issues (apart from the beer spillage nervousness). My solution for messy / stage invading gigs is to stick batteries in it and make sure my leads aren't tangled etc. If we are about to play rage or the prodigy and the crowd look a bit mental It's so light you can kick it to the back of the stage in a second and out of dangers way .. most nights I just stick it between the legs on my mic stand and don't worry. 4 aa batts last ages so no worrys whatsoever about it running out during a gig.

Used the B3 last night. Nice to be able to choose lots of different effects pretty much instantly.
I'd set up a few patches over the last couple of days, last night I decided to use an auto wah patch to liven up a simple bass line. Worked a treat.

I did get a few comments as I had more pedals than our guitarist and the other two bands put together... :lol:

What is the actual sound quality like? If you dial in a Big Muff or something, does it actually sound quite close to the real thing, or does everything sound inherently "digital"? Are the compressors any good?

Very interested in this little unit, but just concerned about it becoming the weak point in my setup......

Thanks for any advice.

What is the actual sound quality like? If you dial in a Big Muff or something, does it actually sound quite close to the real thing, or does everything sound inherently "digital"? Are the compressors any good?

Very interested in this little unit, but just concerned about it becoming the weak point in my setup......

Thanks for any advice.

I have a Bass BIg Muff and a Small Stone. I also have the 2 modelled in one patch on the B3.

I have yet to totally dial it in but it's actually very close.

The dual band compressor is pretty much the same as my Ashdown dual band comp.
Again it needs some fine tweeking.

I'd say at a gig 99.9% of the audience won't be able to tell.

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1330654492' post='1561176']
Yes.
[/quote]

Cheers...could you elaborate, please? :rolleyes:

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1330678068' post='1561280']
I shall try and do some comparision recordings of the bass big muff and small stone this weekend.
[/quote]

That would be great...Thanks!

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1330632895' post='1560844']
ummm, very, very tempted :gas:
What are the overdrives/distortions like? Do they sound anything like the real pedals they emulate?
[/quote]

Not much. Personally, I thought they sounded fake and digital. Closest was probably the Boss ODB3 model (sounded as bad as the original :P ). This is only from a couple of days trying out the unit, which I returned and decided to stick to my Line 6 M5. Distortions are always that thing that multifx units don't do very well. Though in the M5 they also don't replace single pedals, I think they sound better than on the B3, except on most of them you lose bass and can't mix in dry sound. On the B3 they sound worse but you can mix in dry sound.

Paubass .. didn't mean to be cheeky, but u have mentioned the quality of the distortions in particular in the rest of this thread. They really don't sound digital at all and from my experience with a number of the real pedals in a live environment I don't think anybody would know the difference. The added bonus is no knob twiddling between songs and with the mix control on every effect allows you to blend each effect with your clean sound.

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1330773393' post='1562726']
in a live environment I don't think anybody would know the difference.
[/quote]

I've read this type of comment on this thread a number of times and I really don't think it sticks (or should stick) simply because by that train of thought, we'd all, up to this, be using a board full of Behringer pedals and playing Squier basses because 99% of people in a live situation won't know better. So why do we use expensive gear? Different reasons for different people, but for those reasons whatever they are, a B3 won't satisfy most. I use Line 6 because [b]I[/b] can't hear the difference in modulations, delays and reverbs, but I don't use it for distortion because [b]I[/b] can hear the difference. Playing with gear you know doesn't sound its best is less than inspiring and therefore quite counter-productive...

Just done a quick recording of the overdrive, distortions and fuzzes from Zoom B3. Each recorded:
i) all settings 50%
ii) gain 100% rest 50%
iii) gain 100% tone 100% rest 50%

All with blend at 50%
1) Overdrive
2) Bass Muff
3) T Scream
4) Dist 1
5) Squeak
6) Fuzz Smile
7) Great Muff
8) Metal

[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/b3-od-dis-fuzz"]http://soundcloud.co.../b3-od-dis-fuzz[/url]

Excuse the dodgy playing.
If you want any redone with specific settings let me know
I'll chuck up the EHX / B3 pedal comparisons tomorrow. I'm now off to Bristol to see Earth.

EDIT: bear in mind this is just the fx, going straight into the computer from the audio output of the B3. Through an amp and can they sound much better.
It's also using a Stingray with the eq flat.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1330790949' post='1563073']
Just done a quick recording of the overdrive, distortions and fuzzes from Zoom B3. Each recorded:
i) all settings 50%
ii) gain 100% rest 50%
iii) gain 100% tone 100% rest 50%

All with blend at 50%
1) Overdrive
2) Bass Muff
3) T Scream
4) Dist 1
5) Squeak
6) Fuzz Smile
7) Great Muff
8) Metal

[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/b3-od-dis-fuzz"]http://soundcloud.co.../b3-od-dis-fuzz[/url]

Excuse the dodgy playing.
If you want any redone with specific settings let me know
I'll chuck up the EHX / B3 pedal comparisons tomorrow. I'm now off to Bristol to see Earth.
[/quote]

Yup, that's how I remember them :wacko:

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1330791369' post='1563087']

Yup, that's how I remember them :wacko:
[/quote]

I guess I'm just not that fussy. The stuff works and sounds fine. I'll just use any old crap if it sounds ok.

in the studio these emulator pedals are no substitute and you can hear the difference, however...

If you're playing in a covers/tribute band some people might say that the singer doesn't sound quite like [insert artist name]
- it doesn't stop the band being good,
it doesn't stop people enjoying the show.
It might stop the odd gear snob in their tracks as they realise they have wasted their time and money getting some very expensive equipment that does exactly the same job as some very cheap equipment in the right hands...

I very much doubt it will offend even the most purist audiophile that the Big Muff effect on the bass in the chorus of the song doesn't quite sound like the Big Muff on the record. :rolleyes:

Also, there's nothing wrong with Squier basses or Behringer gear. I use both and I'm turning gigs away weekly at the moment. :)

Bren, couldn't have put it better. I also play in a covers band .. just away to head to my third gig in as many nights. I used to take a large pedal board with 8 pedals on it I know take my guitar case which fits my b3 in the pocket. Also I've had nothing but compliments from band members esp. Due to the lack of any faffing between tunes .. also I find the control on each effect to be superior to the original pedals so I can get way closer to the records than I manages before.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1330801204' post='1563263']
If you're playing in a covers/tribute band some people might say that the singer doesn't sound quite like [insert artist name]
- it doesn't stop the band being good,
it doesn't stop people enjoying the show.

I very much doubt it will offend even the most purist audiophile that the Big Muff effect on the bass in the chorus of the song doesn't quite sound like the Big Muff on the record. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Of course not. But that's not why people buy this or that piece of gear is it? Ultimately, I buy things that sound good [u]to me.[/u] I couldn't bear playing with those distortions because personally, I think they sound close to nails on a chalkboard. Of course people have different tastes and thresholds. As I said, I use a Line 6 M5 for modulations and the odd effect so I'm not exactly a gear snob. However since distortion and synth are a big part of my sound, I shouldn't really compromise on that should I? I use a Bass Juice and EHX BMS because tbh when I engage them in a gig it sounds SWEET to ME! I could have 3 times more expensive substitutes if I was to be a snob but I chose those because I love them. I know the audience is covered with any crap fx or even none at all for that matter (no one will care the slightest if the bass player has zero fx). But when my ears hear how those sound it doubles my fun and I play for fun first.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1330801204' post='1563263']
Also, there's nothing wrong with Squier basses or Behringer gear. I use both and I'm turning gigs away weekly at the moment. :)
[/quote]

I have a Squier as a backup bass. Wouldn't use it as my main bass: sound is good, but it rattles everywhere and the bridge is terrible. Would the crowd notice? Unlikely. Do you like to play with basses rattling everywhere and which are impossible to set up properly? Well if the crowd won't notice, why not? BECAUSE IT WOULD KILL YOUR FUN.

But again, that's not my point. Saying that 'the crowd won't notice so it's ok' doesn't cut it for me as an argument when someone is asking if the distortion models sound anything like the originals. They don't. Whether the crowd will notice or not, frankly, is irrelevant, 99% never will. You will buy this if YOU think it's close/good enough for the money, better value taking into account price and ease of transport, etc, you won't buy it if it sounds so fake TO YOUR EARS that all those advantages don't balance it enough. Again, different thresholds: sounds bad enough for me not to buy it even though I'd save money and hassle transporting it. Others will have thresholds higher or lower and make different decisions - might think though it sounds way worse the money saving alone is enough etc.

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1330803404' post='1563293']
Bren, couldn't have put it better. I also play in a covers band .. just away to head to my third gig in as many nights. I used to take a large pedal board with 8 pedals on it I know take my guitar case which fits my b3 in the pocket. Also I've had nothing but compliments from band members esp. Due to the lack of any faffing between tunes .. also I find the control on each effect to be superior to the original pedals so I can get way closer to the records than I manages before.
[/quote]

Those are all good reasons. The crowd is not.
I don't take a large pedalboard with 8 pedals - I use 3 pedals + the M5
I get compliments from my bandmates on my tone as it is and I never need to faff between tunes
I'm happy with the controls of my pedals and I'm not that worried about getting too close to the original recordings: I want MY version of that effect tone. So I don't need 5 synth sounds and 10 distortions. All synths become my 1 tone and all distortions become my 1 or 2 tones, so even though I'm playing covers I have my own sound.

So as I said, different people, different needs, different reasons, different decisions. The crowds can f*** off B)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1330805205' post='1563334']

I have a Squier as a backup bass. Wouldn't use it as my main bass: sound is good, but it rattles everywhere and the bridge is terrible. Would the crowd notice? Unlikely. Do you like to play with basses rattling everywhere and which are impossible to set up properly? Well if the crowd won't notice, why not? BECAUSE IT WOULD KILL YOUR FUN.

[/quote]

Not at all. I've played with some proper pieces of crap basses. It sounded good and I still had fun. Needed to retune between every song, but that's no big deal.

I guess there's some people who just get on with playing and there's some who will only play if everything is perfect.

Here's the first of the comparisons. But which is which?
Small Stone vs 4-Phaser.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/small-stone"]http://soundcloud.co...tte/small-stone[/url]

Bass Big Muff (Norm setting, tone 100%, Sustain/Gain 100% Blend 100%)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/big-muff-norm"]http://soundcloud.co...e/big-muff-norm[/url]

Bass Big Muff (Bass Boost setting, tone 100%, Sustain/Gain 100% Blend 100%)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/big-muff-bass"]http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/big-muff-bass[/url]

Bass Big Muff (Dry setting, tone 100%, Sustain/Gain 100% Blend 50%)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/big-muff-dry"]http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/big-muff-dry[/url]

Edited by bartelby