*SOLD* - WAL Fretless MK1 4 Strings 1983

FrederikVanDuuren

WAL MK 1 1983
4 STRING
FRETLESS
PADOUKE FACINGS
MAHOGANY CORE
INDIAN ROSEWOOD FRETBOARD

Unique Lined [b]fretless[/b] with side dot markers in the [u][b]regular positions[/b][/u].

The condition is fantastic - the photo say it all really.

Electrics are tip top.

Included is a very nice, plush and sturdy custom made case.

The price is [s][b]3000[/b][/s] [i][b]2850[/b][/i] euro, including Wal-branded hard case. Send your offer via Private Message :)

This is a beauty & rare line fretless, so the highest bid gets it...

Edited by FrederikVanDuuren

[quote name='Francesco' timestamp='1322306522' post='1449085']
If you think that fretboard is made out of rosewood, you cleary don't no your wood.
We have a saying in the region where I live, si sente squillare il campanello, ma non so dove il batacchio si blocca.
[/quote]

My wal has an indian rosewood fingerboad... with very few figuring in it... Looks very dark too... just like that one... as there is about a billion sort of wood within the familly of rosewood..
And the backplate says indian rosewood too... are you implying that wal made a mistake on two basses, and put rosewood on TWO back plate when it was ebony? very hard to say from pictures anyways....

No need for that kinda post on a seller's thread :) to me....

[quote name='Francesco' timestamp='1322306522' post='1449085']
If you think that fretboard is made out of rosewood, you cleary don't no your wood.
We have a saying in the region where I live, si sente squillare il campanello, ma non so dove il batacchio si blocca.
[/quote]

Wal use a huge range of woods, and don't forget that wood cuts are all completely different even if they're the same species, let alone tree!

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1322310609' post='1449175'] My wal has an indian rosewood fingerboad... with very few figuring in it... Looks very dark too... just like that one... as there is about a billion sort of wood within the familly of rosewood.. And the backplate says indian rosewood too... are you implying that wal made a mistake on two basses, and put rosewood on TWO back plate when it was ebony? very hard to say from pictures anyways.... No need for that kinda post on a seller's thread :) to me.... [/quote]

+1!

[quote name='FrederikVanDuuren' timestamp='1322305137' post='1449053'] i will upload this afternoon a side picture of the side dot markers :) below some more pictures... fred [attachment=93889:IMG_1045.jpg][attachment=93890:IMG_1046.jpg] [/quote]

Absolutely stunning looking bass by the way! I saw one of Paul's recent Padauk faced Wals and it looked fantastic, might have to get another with those facings me thinks....... :)

[quote name='Francesco' timestamp='1322306522' post='1449085']If you think that fretboard is made out of rosewood, you cleary don't no your wood.
We have a saying in the region where I live, si sente squillare il campanello, ma non so dove il batacchio si blocca.[/quote]
Are you referring to "real" rosewoods, Dalbergia such as Nigra (Brazilian) and Latifolia (Indian), or the other woods commonly termed rosewoods, but not of the genus? Personally, owning instruments that feature Brazilian and Indian rosewood touchboards, I'm more than able to believe that this Wal features Indian rosewood, leaving aside that some luthiers will use stains to reinforce the colouring of timbers.

I was wondering if this bass was originally fretted, as Ebony was the preferred fretless fingerboard, and the backplate states fretboard!!!!

Anyway, what do I Know, I only own 3 Wals at present.

Have a bump for a great looking bass on me!

Edited by Mr Bassman

My ProIIe finished in 81 has a Rosewood FB. And was fretless originally so rosewood is not that uncommon for fretless. Also pretty common to have side dots where there are when fretlines are included.

Beautiful bass. I love it, just can't afford it. Right now planning to send by fretted back to Wal to regain its original fretless state.

dunc