Why become a member? ×

Leftly-loosely, righty-tighty question

Mornats

The old leftly-loosely, righty-tighty tip for adjusting a truss-rod is a nice way of remembering which way you should turn it. My rather nooby question is this: is is still leftly-loosely, righty-tighty if the truss rod is adjusted from the body side of the neck as opposed to the headstock side of it?

I want to tweak my Overwater's neck tension a little but want to get it right first time. Cheers!

Thanks! So I'm assuming that the truss rod has been inserted the opposite way round if the bit you stick your tool into is near the body. No innuendos intended by the way, that just happened to be the simplest way to explain it when the proper terminology goes right out of your head! :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1322080162' post='1446357']
Thanks! So I'm assuming that the truss rod has been inserted the opposite way round if the bit you stick your tool into is near the body. No innuendos intended by the way, that just happened to be the simplest way to explain it when the proper terminology goes right out of your head! :)
[/quote]

That's my understanding of how it works.

Just remember to go slowly and not turn too much all in one go; let the neck settle down a bit :)

Yes exactly the same.
Just think about the action of screwing a wood screw into a piece of wood, as long as you are facing the piece of wood, the rule always applies.

I generally pull the neck back across my knee in between turns of the truss rod - you get the same effect as leaving it to 'settle' by itself in seconds rather than days.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1322086339' post='1446471']
I actually think the quarter turn and leave it twenty four hours is nonsense.

If it needs a quarter turn then fine but if it needs a half turn or more, then that's what it needs.
[/quote]

However... there are some necks/woods that react more slowly and over a greater period of time. If you need to go much past a half turn between set-ups then you are moving the neck a fair bit. If the neck was a slow mover and you crank it 1/2 to full turn you might find that initially you get the reaction that you want BUT 24hrs (or more) later the neck has moved even further and you have to adjust it back. I'm not saying that you are wrong and I certainly don't subscribe to a 1/4 turn then leave it 24hrs, as I'll tweak it a 1/2 turn or so but much past that and if it is a new bass to me then I'll leave it sitting a while with the strings up to tension before I have another look.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1322118907' post='1446611']
However... there are some necks/woods that react more slowly and over a greater period of time. If you need to go much past a half turn between set-ups then you are moving the neck a fair bit. If the neck was a slow mover and you crank it 1/2 to full turn you might find that initially you get the reaction that you want BUT 24hrs (or more) later the neck has moved even further and you have to adjust it back. I'm not saying that you are wrong and I certainly don't subscribe to a 1/4 turn then leave it 24hrs, as I'll tweak it a 1/2 turn or so but much past that and if it is a new bass to me then I'll leave it sitting a while with the strings up to tension before I have another look.
[/quote]

Yes you are right, I should have expanded my answer a bit, but it was late and my bed was calling.