Why become a member? ×

PA equipment

zac362

think this is the right place for this, but due to recent events, my band has found its self with out a frontman, which is fine, I'm looking forward to finding a new 5th member. The major downside is that our frontman provided all our PA equipment.

after looking online for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that i don't know what I'm looking for or what I'm looking at, if theres anyone out there who could give me a quick run down of what id need and maybe recommended brands (nothing to lavish, were only a pub band and all a bit skint) that would be fantastic.

Cheers Zac.

Check out Behringer - I know some may knock their equipment, but in an old band we had a Behringer PA/Speakers/Monitors, and used to do 2hr gigs with it. Worked well, no problems, and sounded good.

Main thing I`d go for if sorting a pa again is a powered mixer, rather than mixer/power amp combination. Just easier to lug around, and cost is roughly the same.

Find the singer/frontman first as he may well have his own stuff....

As for decent stuff and bang for buck.. I am assuming you just want tops and the power/EQ section.

PV is decent enough and cheap... but depends how discerning you are with Vox and I'd avoid if poss.
But probably best budget stuff around...and is very durable
JBL isn't what it used to be and the horn units have been fragile, IMRE... what a let-down and come down from a great height..!!

Mackie gets good reviews and is decent enough.

If the band has a degree of stability and you think ti will last..look into e-bay for HK and Martin stuff and down a level, EV.

Way better starting points and your vocals will thank you for it.

You're going to need a fairly hefty PA to run all that through.

We spent £900 on 2 tops and a sub, all Mackie (SA1521 x 2, SWA1501 x 1) and we wouldn't be able to run all that through it. I used to run my bass through it, and while it sounded great, it did affect the vocals, they were notably quieter when I was playing certain notes.

A quick list of what you'll need with estimated used prices:

2 powered Tops - 15" - £500 - £700 for a pair
2 powered Subs - 15" or 18" - £600 - £700 for a pair
Speaker stands - £20 each for sub to top poles or £45 each for floor standers
2 powered Monitors - 15" - £400 a pair
Vocal Mics - SM58s - £50-60 each
Kick Mic - essential! D112 - £60-70
Mic Stands - Studiospares.co.uk boom mics - £13 each
A Mixer - £100+ depending on the desk
Cables, lots and spares - £10+ each

You'll also need cases to keep everything safe and working.

We've probably spent that much over the last 12-18 months and have all the equipment listed above. Basically, I bought it all as and when I could afford it, then the band paid me from the following gigs. We also borrowed bits and pieces here and there until we had a full rig.

Personally, I think it's massively important not to skrimp on the PA, we get complimented all the time on our "sound", and the PA is a massive part of it. It's so frustrating to see a band play a song really well, but it sounds pathetic because they bought a cheap PA.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Like Ben said don't skrimp on the PA and if your looking to go into functions buy bigger than you need now, The older HK stuff is pretty bullet proof but heavy but sounds superb -you can get a Actor system for about £1500 thats 4 subs and 2 tops powered.[/font]

Don't know if this might help, there are other related articles as well, though you might need to go via my profile page to track them all down [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/a_guide_to_live_sound_speakers_and_amps.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/a_guide_to_live_sound_speakers_and_amps.html[/url]

How many times have you been to see a band and thought 'these guys are great but it doesn't sound good in here' ? You wouldn't want that to be you now..

If you wouldn't skimp on your bass gear then don't on PA stuff either. Much like bass gear, inexpensive stuff can work well as long as it's correctly setup. I appreciate most of us can't afford 20 thousand watts of EAW or Turbo Sound stuff but the suggestions as mentioned above and even Peavey stuff will see you well.