Why become a member? ×

Making a bass String-Thru

throwoff

Hey guys,

I am seriously considering making my Jap P string Thru body.

There is no chance this one will ever be sold and as for future value it already has an odd placed thumbrest and aftermarket pickup and bridge cover.

I plan to buy a USA Fender Deluxe bridge which will fit and then either drill through myself or pay a luthier to do it.

Has anyone done this themselves? Were there any unforseen issues?

Use a drill press. It's the only way to guarantee as far as possible that the holes will line up. With the press I have done this using the bridge plate as a guide, the thin holes for the strings through from the top first, then take the plate off, flip it round and drill the holes for the ferrules using the thin holes. Using the press it's easy to guide the drill to the exact spot, you can do a slow, controlled bore and you have a depth stop (or mark the depth with tape).

Remember to put some scrap wood under the body when drilling through to prevent splintering/lacquer cracking.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1321911733' post='1444433']
Use a drill press. It's the only way to guarantee as far as possible that the holes will line up. With the press I have done this using the bridge plate as a guide, the thin holes for the strings through from the top first, then take the plate off, flip it round and drill the holes for the ferrules using the thin holes. Using the press it's easy to guide the drill to the exact spot, you can do a slow, controlled bore and you have a depth stop (or mark the depth with tape).

Remember to put some scrap wood under the body when drilling through to prevent splintering/lacquer cracking.
[/quote]

a big + 1 on this.

A drill press is the only way to go for a straight drilled hole. But also make sure that your bass is clamped down firmly but on a flat level. If you dont then even the worlds top of the range drill press wont make the holes come out aligned and straight.

I agree with all of the above, you really need to use a pillar drill to get it as good as you can.

I always use masking tape if I'm doing any sort of drilling on a guitar; It's nice to mark up on, helps to stop the drill bit slipping, and can help reduce the risk of splitting out/chipping/cracking.