Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN Purple Chili Phat Bass 450 2 ohm Class D Amp

sk8

Having had a gear rethink i'm putting up my Purple Chili Phat Bass 450 head. Its 450 watts into 4 ohms and is a 2 ohm capable class D Amp.

Its made by Mike at Purple Chili/Zoot

Three tube handwired pre amp by Denis Cornell (Cornell Pedals) with a tube driven DI and jack and Speakon sockets. Bass Mid Treble controls with Bass and Treble switch's to change frequencies affected.

Great amp light loud and retro cool!

Will get some pics up later

£700 collected from Bath Bristol

Edited by sk8

[quote name='far0n' timestamp='1321655215' post='1441807']
Just curious but if it's a class D amp, why is it the size of a suitacse ? :)
[/quote]
The official Mike Walsh explanation.
"The reason the head is this size is to accommodate the hight of the mains transformer that feeds the power supply to the three valves. Also the smoothing cap on the tube power supply is high as well. If I were only using transistors and a digital power amp with a switched mode power supply, I could have made a copy of (in size and tone) a Markbass or T.C. or Gallien or anything that the others do. However, I like to be different ( and why not)."

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1321721999' post='1442440']

The official Mike Walsh explanation.
"The reason the head is this size is to accommodate the hight of the mains transformer that feeds the power supply to the three valves. Also the smoothing cap on the tube power supply is high as well. If I were only using transistors and a digital power amp with a switched mode power supply, I could have made a copy of (in size and tone) a Markbass or T.C. or Gallien or anything that the others do. However, I like to be different ( and why not)."
[/quote]

Thanks Stuart, forgot that bit. Mike also mentioned about having a powersuppply that wasn't just enough but could easily supply the valves with what they needed hence it being more than required.

Gigged this saturday and its got a great tone

• 2 weeks later...