Why become a member? ×

I still love Victor

urb

That's it - still love the guy and his playing

OK - this one is a bit frantic in places

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Bp9HxY_LI[/media]

but this one is just great - funny and beautiful

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7YnvFsBprw[/media]

I know Victor comes up a lot on bass forums and I think the guy is technically amazing, if not my cup of tea. I tend to turn off when he starts talking about God too, again nothing personal, just not a practicing Christian. But more impressive than any of his technique I always find is his outlook on music is incredibly inspirational. Rightly so should he revered as a bit of a legend.

This remains my favourite...ok, it has the technique but more than that ...this grooves, has a nice melody and has a vision.
How some people can call this "non-musical" or "only made to impress" remains a mystery to me..
He keeps on inspiring me..I'm not too fond of that God-thing either but he remains an amazing and unique bass-player.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve37F3Ee9Ow"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve37F3Ee9Ow[/url]

Whilst 'God' doesn't do much for me, I do find it inspiring that Victor incorporates such a thing into his music. He breathes his passion for life into his music. I have never seen him 'jobbing it', he always looks as though he lives for music and nothing pleases him more than to be playing his bass. He inspires me with just his philosophy on music and playing.

His music on the other hand, I mostly enjoy immensely. I love his fusion stuff, though some of his solo stuff is a bit Gospel-y and not really my thing. All the same, he is one of the best musicians alive today and easily the most revolutionary bassist since Jaco. It's not just his technical mastery that makes him a great, it's his ability to just make a damn good tune, however he chooses to do it.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1320709452' post='1430507']
I know Victor comes up a lot on bass forums and I think the guy is technically amazing, if not my cup of tea. I tend to turn off when he starts talking about God too, again nothing personal, just not a practicing Christian. But more impressive than any of his technique I always find is his outlook on music is incredibly inspirational. Rightly so should he revered as a bit of a legend.
[/quote]

Just to clarify here - and I am absolutely not for or against any one's personal beliefs - but when Vic talks about 'God' I personally think he's referring to the concept of a 'god' rather than anything religious - his song 'I Saw God' is about exactly that and yet it gets massively misunderstood and he's immediately labelled as preaching religion - he's not IMO - I've met him a few times, interviewed him a few times - listened to him speak a lot, read his book and at no point has he referred to religion or God in a Christian sense - he may well be religious but he really keeps it to himself - and let's his music do the talking. However he IS 'spiritual' and is massively into nature - whatever that may imply - like I say I have nothing against people who are into or believe in religion - I don't for the record - but as with every other misconception about Vic that's floating around on the internet - I really don't think he ever preaches about religion - he just uses the word 'god' in a song... :) you dig?