Why become a member? ×

first gig ever friday!

huwgarms

as above, treated myself to a bass and amp for my 40th in march last year, started learning, joined a covers band (who are also friends of mine) 5 practices ago:and have my first gig this week , pooing myself, any advice for me? i have a spare bass some strings leads battery so far oh and a fan for keeping cool

cheers

Put a fresh battery in your bass & take a spare. Make sure all your gear is sound & take a couple of spare leads & strings.
If you have a spare bass, then great. I've never needed a backup bass in 20 odd years, but it's reassuring if there's one there.
Print off a couple of copies of your setlist. Put one or two at the front of the stage (I usually have one either side of the singer) & give the drummer one (a setlist that is).

Now go & enjoy yourself & all the best with it.

Make it groove! Play your bass so that the audience can dance to it.

If you mess up - keep going! Just come back in on the beat as soon as you can.

Wear earplugs, you could get to play on a much smaller stage than you are used to in rehearsal - much closer to the guitarists amps and the drummer who will probably be hitting harder due to ecxitement/nerves /adrenaline/dutch courage (delete as applicable). I found my first gig quite a shock volume wise.....

Have fun! Don't drink too much and good luck!

All the above advice, plus:

Keep it simple. Don't be tempted to suddenly add extra effects, or introduce new licks you've just learned. Play the gig the same way you've rehearsed, using the same equipment in the same way.

Focus on the job. Leave smiling at the audience and cracking jokes to others. Just focus on playing your bass and don't let yourself get distracted by that blonde in the short skirt or your friends making faces at you.

Rely on your band mates. They're there to help you, and they can do that in all sorts of ways. Including, if you get stagefright, allowing you to pretend that there's no audience - just look at the drummer, lock in with him, and ([i]hey presto[/i]) you're back in the rehearsal room.

Good luck.

[quote name='huwgarms' timestamp='1320617924' post='1429146']
and a fan for keeping cool
[/quote]
If you think it's going to be quite a warm room, get your bass out of its case as soon as you can after you arrive. Give it time to adjust to room temp before you tune up. Take a small towel to mop up any sweat.

If anyone - including yourself - makes a mistake, don't worry and don't react to it. Pretend it never happened. 99% of the time the audience never notices.

Write the song key against each song on the setlist. Useful when the mind goes blank, as mine so often does.

And have a pee [i]before[/i] you go on. Public urination is a criminal offence, IIRC.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1320679606' post='1429838']
If you think it's going to be quite a warm room, get your bass out of its case as soon as you can after you arrive. Give it time to adjust to room temp before you tune up. Take a small towel to mop up any sweat.

[/quote]

and wear sweat bands :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1320679606' post='1429838']
If anyone - including yourself - makes a mistake, don't worry and don't react to it. Pretend it never happened. 99% of the time the audience never notices.

[/quote]

+ do it again next time around (particularly effective when playing originals)...the audience'll realise then that it's meant to be like that ;-)

cheers all good advice that cracking tips which i will take on board, (gonna struggle with the short skirt one! lol)
going to probably be in the toilet before and half time, not peeing either lol, i only have to think about the gig and im rolling in side lol, i am excited though and looking forward to it, set list should be sorted tommorow, hopefully make some cheat notes on it which should help,.

towell tip taken on board i get warm in practice god help me with lights etc
will try to ignore the mistake but even in practice i find myself going red and looking cross lol
cant think there will be but any more info please keep it coming, it all helps setttle the nerves slightly, the second gig two weeks later is in my local so no pressure hahahaha :-)

sorry sarah didnt see your post till this morning, well as first gigs went lots of things were perfect!

several good quality local bands were playing in nearby venues, the rain was lashing down and the club had recently clamped down on youngens turning up there so turnout was not great, for me it meant there were actually very few nerves, we ran through our sound check song, partially twice and fully once, a couple of punters were in already so by then id played to an audience in my mind lol.

i had real trouble hearing the bass in the first half i will post details in a while, the dogs are nagging for a walk now

right dogs walked where was i, right took my ashdown eb 180 and 110 deep cab as monitors and main sound through the desk, the guitarist had a marshall stack next to me on the left and drummer on the right and i just couldnt hear myself at all,(will post apic or two soon) the front of the house sound was fine though, my amp was up full both input and output ??
obvoiusely this meant i couldnt get right up front of the stage for long and didnt stray far from the cab trying to hear

second set ran the bass a little through the front monitors along with the vocals, was better for me but distorted slightly the vocals (only coming through the monitor)

anyhow the songs in the second set are both up tempo and more fun for me personally to play so really enjoyed that bit, had a pint before rehearsals tuesday and by the third song needed the toilet ! with this in mind i had a glass of wine before and half time rather than a pint and just a little glass of water with me on the stage.

what did i learn, well theres so much stuff to carry in carry out pack un pack etc etc im thinking of outing the ashdown combo and going for another ashdown cab and seperate head (300w should do me) i have the option then of di to the desk or not?

playing by feel and not hearing myself after 4 practices was not impossible but when u do drop a wrong un in there it can take two or three times longer to come back in on the right notes etc compared to if i could hear myself, on the plus side one of the guitarists and the drummer both dropped the odd bollock so i didnt feel totally left out, although feedback later said no one noticed my errors only the others (hahaha) we have another gig on 2 weeks where i now the croud will be around 200 ish so was very glad to have a quiet first one under my belt so i know what to expect, oh its also on local home turf so no pressure lol.

i was suprised how organised i was even remembering to tune up the spare bass in case of a breakage etc, running with dr neons on the bass and took a small black light with me, however it was set up at the front of the stage where i already said i didnt spend too much time so the strings didnt really get to glow :-(

[url="https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318403_10150354141916262_727326261_8495158_1083638262_n.jpg"]https://fbcdn-sphoto...083638262_n.jpg[/url]

[url="https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381804_10150354143741262_727326261_8495168_1248048613_n.jpg"]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381804_10150354143741262_727326261_8495168_1248048613_n.jpg[/url]

Edited by huwgarms

Glad it went mostly well. First one down, here's to the next

[quote name='huwgarms' timestamp='1321110588' post='1435484']
right took my ashdown eb 180 and 110 deep cab as monitors and main sound through the desk, the guitarist had a marshall stack next to me on the left and drummer on the right and i just couldnt hear myself at all
[/quote]

Mm, a full guitar stack next to you? no wonder you struggled with volume! I gigged for maybe a year or so with an Ashdown EB12-180, worked alright for me but my guitarists at the time were happy with 1x12 combos. Maybe have a chat with your guitarist about on stage volume before you shell out for new gear?

Edit for spelling

Edited by rOB