Why become a member? ×

Encore masquerading as a Squire

silentbob

Not sure if this is a genuine mistake or not, but i am 99% sure that this is an Encore LTD 83.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290625811099&category=4713&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
The tuners and string tree are definatly from an Encore and i'm sure the LTD 83 was the only bass they made with gold hardware. Also i can see the fading on the wood where the Encore QC sticker was. It does look very much like somebody has just swapped the neck plate and added a new decal and the story seems a bit long winded to just be a mistake.
Do you think it's worth emailing the seller to let him know. I know even as a Squire it's not going to fetch silly money, but shouldn't the new owner actually be aware of what he is buying?

Comparing the pictures against the two i have here i am 100% certain it's an LTD 83. They're actually a pretty good solid bass. The body is actually ash, not alder as the seller discribed, and the neck has a much flatter profile when compared to a Squire. I reported this on Saturday, but have heard nothing since, and i see it still running and been bid up to eighty-odd quid. Just for reference, the last one of bought a couple of months ago cost me £30.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220828808298&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I noticed this one straight away and as the owner of one of these great Encore specials,contacted the seller and asked him if it was indeed an Encore.He owned up straight away.As far as I could see,apart from the Fender decal and Squire neckplate,it was the same as mine.He said it has an Alder body,when in fact its Indian ash.I even put a bid in myself,knowing what a good guitar it was.I paid about £95 for mine a few months ago.....I nearly fell over when I saw what it went for.....if only they knew what it was that they had bought.....and payed well over the odds for!!!

Man that's weird. I actually did something I've never done before and reported it. I put forward a decent case that it was a counterfeit rather than just "not as advertised". I heard nothing back but presumed that ebay would pull it.

I guess that makes ebay knowingly complicit in the distribution of counterfeit merchandise. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1320709313' post='1430504']
Man that's weird. I actually did something I've never done before and reported it. I put forward a decent case that it was a counterfeit rather than just "not as advertised". I heard nothing back but presumed that ebay would pull it.

I guess that makes ebay knowingly complicit in the distribution of counterfeit merchandise. :)
[/quote]

That makes two of us then. Shocking that the buyer knew all the time.

I just don't understand why ebay don't do anything when an auction is reported as obviously being a wrongun. Is it at all possible that they contact the seller and buyer and try to resolve the issue without anyone else knowing. It really does dent any confidence I would have in buying anything of value from ebay.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1320709313' post='1430504']

[/quote]

I wonder how they'd react to a follow-up email warning them that you've reported them to the busies?

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1321131030' post='1435783']
Just sent the buyer a link to this thread. Normally i wouldn't interfere, but as both Ebay and the seller were aware that this item was fake, i think it's only fair that the buyer should know what he's really bought, and gets the chance to do something about it maybe.
[/quote]
Good call.
How did you find out their email - doesn't ebay disguise that these days?

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1321131030' post='1435783']
Just sent the buyer a link to this thread. Normally i wouldn't interfere, but as both Ebay and the seller were aware that this item was fake, i think it's only fair that the buyer should know what he's really bought, and gets the chance to do something about it maybe.
[/quote]

Any response?