Why become a member? ×

Back Routing... Am I Entering A World Of Pain?

discreet

In at the deep end... I'm planning to put together a bass with no pickguard and no control plate, so will need to install electrics etc from the back, meaning a back rout and back plate will be necessary...

I'm sure there are a number of BassChatters who have done this and I was hoping you could give me a few pointers and maybe warn me of the inevitable pitfalls of doing this.

Or should I just get someone else to do it thereby avoiding a world of pain, shame, embarrassment, profanity and a reduction in testicle size? Thanks!

It's pretty easy if you've got a router with template router bit or a template guide.
Make a templete, clamp it securely to the body and route it out.
Make another template a few mm wider than the main cavity and route the recess for the cover 2mm deep
Make sure that the template can't move when routing......

[attachment=92068:DSCF2513.jpg]

If you havent got a router (or cant borrow one) then it's time consuming and results can be messy....

Thanks for this... I guessed a router would be necessary... :) One thing puzzles me slightly though, how deep do you go, or to put it another way, how thin does the top of the body have to be to facilitate installation of the pots? Given that most pots are fitted to a pickguard or a control plate, which are both very thin. Thanks!

If you have any concerns about depth, you can also not go as deep as you think throughout the entire cavity but do a general cavity rout then remove the required material precisely where your pots will be. This provides a snug socket for you pots to sit in and not be susceptible to sideways knocks from the front.

Doing it yourself means you have no one else to blame for it going wrong - I once paid to have a rear rout done and it was ok but not quite as tip-top had I done it myself. Now I have all the kit, it's not a problem.

[quote name='soopercrip' timestamp='1319792217' post='1418553']
Don't try to route to much at a time, 1/2" by 1/2" Max, means less stress on the router and an easier cut for you.
Andy
[/quote]

Learned this the hard way (twice) that whistling sound as the router bit flies past your ear is truly terrifying, particularly the 2nd time...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1319796066' post='1418622']

Learned this the hard way (twice) that whistling sound as the router bit flies past your ear is truly terrifying, particularly the 2nd time...
[/quote]
Same. I also had the problem of the route bit drilling into the wood, so it was being pulled out of the router. Its a crappy router.