Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass LMII vs F1

thedontcarebear

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the F1. It was only a matter of time before I had to chime in!

I LOVE mine! Bit of info here from me and PopTart [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9639"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9639[/url]

I agree with the reviews about the F1 Vs the LMII. However I will very quickly jump in and say this amp, although being 'immediate' sounding and a bit more clean than the LMII it's definitely not sterile or cold sounding. The VLE and VPF controls, i expected to be a bit of a gimmick, but it IS really good to see 2 controls that can alther the voicing of an amp so usuefully. I call them the Ampeg control lol!!

I have gigged my F1 with my Epifani 610 and there is no problem with volume. I think I'm yet to go over '4' lol!

oh and the fact that it is tiny is fantastic!! - Mine lives in a 4u rack now, but being so small, it will be ideal for taking on tour, should I need to travel light!

My only warning is this. Expect your band mates to ridicule you relentlessly about your gear right up to the point where they hear the F1 keeping up with 2 valve guitar heads and 4x12's. ;o)

They still take the mic about me and my obsession with light gear.. F1 has proved itself ;o)

I used to like my old mark bass little mark (original yellow one) a lot, so much so that my SWR 750x used to stay at home when I had them both, but I sold it to get something lighter, I ordered a LMII, but they ended up sending a LM 250, so I sent it back, and I bought a superfly instead, but I really miss the markbass sound. Ordered the F1 tonight, and it was only £515 posted, so not much more then the LMII.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='161957' date='Mar 22 2008, 08:26 PM']IOrdered the F1 tonight, and it was only £515 posted, so not much more then the LMII.[/quote]

Sounds like a good price for an F1 - I haven't seen them for less than around the £575 mark with postage?

The box on mine says 'CAUTION OVER 25KG' ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! I think even if they put a decimal point between the 2 and 5 they'd still be wrong!

[edit] ah, yes... infact they would.. it's only 2.1Kg . Gaaawd I love it! Sounded great last night on stage!

[quote name='Tee' post='163115' date='Mar 25 2008, 01:16 PM']I've always been attracted by the size and weight of Markbass heads, but i'm put off my the supposedly [b]'sterile'[/b] sound. I hate carting equipment around though, so these would be so cool.[/quote]

I wonder who writes those reviews, certainly not the case with the F1 and that is meant to be the least coloured of the MB range.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='163782' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:31 PM']It just arrived, gonna try it in a bit, but with my luck it'll probably be dead or explode.[/quote]

Let us know how you get on please, considering an F1 myself

The package looks too good to be true !

[quote name='dood' post='163120' date='Mar 25 2008, 01:20 PM']I wonder who writes those reviews, certainly not the case with the F1 and that is meant to be the least coloured of the MB range.[/quote]

I wouldn't say my Little Mark 2 is sterile sounding, but it does have quite a clean tone. For rock I never found a tone I was 100% happy with, until I put my DHA preamp in front of it. I leave the LM2 flat now, and do my tone shaping on the DHA. It's nice and Ampeg like now!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='163935' date='Mar 26 2008, 05:22 PM']I think it sounds awesome, I've owned tonnes of amps now and this is my favourite so far, lots of thump and not muddy, nice and tight sounding, the 2 tone controls are very good too, especially the VPF for me.[/quote]

Abso'bloomin'lutely! - I have also owned some really nice amps over a lot of years and this one really does make me smile! As I have said in other threads, it keeps up with my 2 guitarists quite easily and I play metal! Yeah, I love those 2 extra tone shaping controls too. There's a wide range of tones available and I can get a really good old skool tone out of it as well.. nice and warm with a roundness to it that sounds funky!

For a super mini rig I take the amp off my 6x10 and plug it into an Aguilar GS-112. I can carry my 4u rack in one hand and cab in the other. I reckon if I had a soft case I could pop that on my back too. One journey from the car!!

p.s. Rack ears for the F1 are available seperately for rack mounting. (I'll do a pic later)

[quote name='Marcus' post='163882' date='Mar 26 2008, 04:26 PM']Let us know how you get on please, considering an F1 myself

The package looks too good to be true ![/quote]

Hi Mark, the SA450 is going great by the way. The cabs.. well... I prefer my EBS ones. Hope all is well !

Faron