Why become a member? ×

New Pick Ups Analogy

Dave D

I have an Ibanez SR305 which i really like the feel of. Very comfy neck, good spring spacing, and bright sounding acoustically. I bought it as a cheap entry to 5 string bass, and could happily stick with it.

But the stock pick ups seem to lack power and oomph (which is understandable for a sub £300 bass i guess). I notice that Wizard offer replacements for £70 each, so it'd be cheaper to replace them rather than change the bass.

Would you advise this, and what would be a good analogy for replacing pick ups on a budget bass? Is it like putting a Jag engine in a Kia? Or maybe a new caburettor? or just a set of 'go faster stripes'?

DD

I've put Wizards in my FrankenP, and then sold my US Precisions because it sounded and played better. I also put some in a Warwick Fortress, and that worked a treat, too. I'd have some in my Fenderbird, but they don't make 'em to fit.

I put a Kent Armstrong pup and a J East P-retro preamp into my Westone Thunder Jet - now it is the Mutts. I think that if the rest of the bass is of decent enough quality to get the most out of the upgrades, and it feels comfortable to play, then it is worth doing. It won't increase the value - that's not why I have done it - my intention, when I eventually move it on, is to put it back to stock and sell off the bits separately or stick them into another project. But for now I am enjoying a unique bass that is lightweight, comfy, sounds the biz and has a fantastic neck.

Edited by Paul S