Why become a member? ×

Now I'm gonna be in trouble!

KiOgon

The g/f goes away for a couple of days & what happens - I've only gone & bought another bass! I blame ebay 100% :)

I couldn't resist, seen a few come & go in the past but this one looked quite tidy :) a bit of work required but it'll keep me busy for a while.

It's a Gherson Jazz, as close as I can remember to the one & only bass I had & gigged with for several years mid 70s, so lots of nostalgia.

In '73 I went to that London specifically to buy a Rick, had saved £400 but every one I tried had a action a mile high & felt rough to play.

I came home that day with a Gherson Blonde Jazz, Hiwatt 100 & Orange 2x18 cab, no I din't get it all for £400, I had a piece of plastic called Barclaycard as well!

I can't seem to grab pictures from ebay on my laptop for some reason so I'll get some pics up as soon as.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318968223' post='1408469']
Good man! Can't wait to see the pics. But what happened to the Duck Project? :)
[/quote]
Duck project moved onto back burner for now :) that's a serious project, this is for the memories :)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1318966824' post='1408436']
The g/f goes away for a couple of days & what happens - I've only gone & bought another bass! I blame ebay 100% :)

I couldn't resist, seen a few come & go in the past but this one looked quite tidy :) a bit of work required but it'll keep me busy for a while.

It's a Gherson Jazz, as close as I can remember to the one & only bass I had & gigged with for several years mid 70s, so lots of nostalgia.

In '73 I went to that London specifically to buy a Rick, had saved £400 but every one I tried had a action a mile high & felt rough to play.

I came home that day with a Gherson Blonde Jazz, Hiwatt 100 & Orange 2x18 cab, no I din't get it all for £400, I had a piece of plastic called Barclaycard as well!

I can't seem to grab pictures from ebay on my laptop for some reason so I'll get some pics up as soon as.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]
Has the G/F come back, and what was the reaction like?

I do the same with the wife, except she never goes away, so I have put one of the many others basses in the loft, and hope that she doesn't notice that I sneaked another one in!

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1318968955' post='1408481']
She's home tomorrow, just a short visit to see her Mum on her 80th. So she'll be home before the bass gets here :) Luckily she's very understanding :) usually :)
[/quote]
Good luck!
Sounds like you've got a good one there mate.

I have to admit that my wife is also very understanding, especially when I tell her it's an investment, just like some people by pictures, I buy basses!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1318969257' post='1408488']
Good luck!
Sounds like you've got a good one there mate.

I have to admit that my wife is also very understanding, especially when I tell her it's an investment, just like some people by pictures, I buy basses!
[/quote]
Yeah I used that excuse last time :) but I got away with that, I bought a AV '62 but sold 2 Mex's, so according to my maths - I've got room for this one?

Yes she's a good one alright - a 100% 19 carat diamond :)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1318968942' post='1408480']
I had a Gherson jazz a few years ago. Really slim neck which i couldn't get on with, but the pickups were amazing. Weighed quite a bit as well!!
[/quote]
Yeah I don't think my fingers are going to be very happy with, I'm nearly 40 years older, a lot fatter & slower + very used to my C necked P's :)

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1319030472' post='1409077']
Tell me more about the Orange 2 x 18... :)
[/quote]
It was Mahusive, only just fitted in the back of my Austin A40 Countryman :) On stage the 1x Hiwatt 100 wasn't quite enough so I soon got another, slaved together it was pure trouser flapping awesome :) Just a bit heavy IIRC. I've not seen another, don't think they made many of 'em but it was definitely Orange, which was different in those days.

Cheerz, john

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1318968699' post='1408478']
. . . . Has the G/F come back, and what was the reaction like? . . .
[/quote]
Yes she's home on schedule now & after a brief rundown of the circumstances - - -
Yes I've got away with it :) based on the fact it was the least expensive bass I've ever bought (I think) :)

Yes she's a diamond & excited to see what it's like when it turns up :)

Cheerz, John