Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Custom Inlays

Bankai

I'm toying with the idea of getting a custom bass done. One of the things I'd like to do would be having my initials (ARK) on the fingerboard.

I can't think what colour would be right though, it'd be an ebony or rosewood fingerboard. Body probably black with black/white/black guard. Black hardware as well, naturally :)

Any suggestions? Can't decide if white or silver would look best!

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1318811742' post='1406507']
I'm toying with the idea of getting a custom bass done. One of the things I'd like to do would be having my initials (ARK) on the fingerboard.

I can't think what colour would be right though, it'd be an ebony or rosewood fingerboard. Body probably black with black/white/black guard. Black hardware as well, naturally :)

[/quote]

Have a look at the Yamaha BBNE2. Always thought the inlays on that were well cool and you could have your initials at the 12th block instead of the EASTism.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1318833869' post='1406538']Think long and hard. What seems an idea now might be one you go off later or OTT.[/quote]A big +1 to this.
I've had guys change their minds 3 or 4 times in a single day over choices that they've not put enough thought into first. It's so tempting when you have endless possibilities to take things a little too far without thinking about the practicalities.

A problem with having a bass built that's too personalized is that it makes it very hard to sell it on later.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1318841506' post='1406614']
How hard are massive inlays to do for those of you who build basses?

Like ones spanning the board and such?

Or does it depend on many things?
[/quote]
Yes it does depend on allot of things but any one off, custom designed inlay work will add a significant amount to the cost of the bass. It's different for the likes of PRS or Gibson who use CNC mills to cut out their inlays and holes. CNC means it doesn't cost them much more to fit standardised inlays, even quite complicated ones. One off inlays are usually cut and fitted by hand, so it can cost a fair bit extra just to make the bass look tacky (oops, I mean[i] trendy[/i]!).

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1318863053' post='1407036']
Yes it does depend on allot of things but any one off, custom designed inlay work will add a significant amount to the cost of the bass. It's different for the likes of PRS or Gibson who use CNC mills to cut out their inlays and holes. CNC means it doesn't cost them much more to fit standardised inlays, even quite complicated ones. One off inlays are usually cut and fitted by hand, so it can cost a fair bit extra just to make the bass look tacky (oops, I mean[i] trendy[/i]!).
[/quote]

I LOVE massive inlays, if one was already made how much would adding it to a fret board be (roughly in vague terms) because i'm tacky/trendy! My brother likes plain fret boards, and i like big 'ole inlays so each to their own! haha :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1318870182' post='1407200']

I LOVE massive inlays, if one was already made how much would adding it to a fret board be (roughly in vague terms) because i'm tacky/trendy! My brother likes plain fret boards, and i like big 'ole inlays so each to their own! haha :)
[/quote]
Well, the board would usually need de-fretting, then on top there's the cost of putting in the inlays themselves. So for example, if you wanted a dot neck upgraded to standard pearloid blocks, you're probably looking at a hundred and something to cut the (cambered, therefore difficult to work with) board, add the blocks and smooth, then maybe another hundred or so for the de/re-fret, smooth, level, re-profile and polish. On top of all that, you'd be looking at an extra hundred or thereabouts more for the extra bling of fingerboard binding to set your beautiful inlays off should you be so inclined, (and why not????) A fair wedge to pimp yo bass but some people would consider it money well spent :)

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1318875772' post='1407305']
Well, the board would usually need de-fretting, then on top there's the cost of putting in the inlays themselves. So for example, if you wanted a dot neck upgraded to standard pearloid blocks, you're probably looking at a hundred and something to cut the (cambered, therefore difficult to work with) board, add the blocks and smooth, then maybe another hundred or so for the de/re-fret, smooth, level, re-profile and polish. On top of all that, you'd be looking at an extra hundred or thereabouts more for the extra bling of fingerboard binding to set your beautiful inlays off should you be so inclined, (and why not????) A fair wedge to pimp yo bass but some people would consider it money well spent :)
[/quote]

If the bass was a custom build the board could be designed for the inlay in advance cutting the costs of that right?

Thanks for educating me though! :)

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1318811742' post='1406507']

[/quote]

Spoiler - If you decide to sell it, you need to look for someone with the initial ARK otherwise you are lumbered with the thing. *THINK*

Indeed! I'll go without the initials then :)

In case anyone was wondering, it's going to be a Sandberg PM4 in Black (or possibly White) with Black/White/Black guard, Ebony board, and black hardware.

Wazoo, if you hadn't have shown me that bass I could potentially have a lot more money!

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1318877014' post='1407323']

If the bass was a custom build the board could be designed for the inlay in advance cutting the costs of that right?

Thanks for educating me though! :)
[/quote]
Yes it's easier to cut a board for inlays before it's been cambered, attached to a neck and maybe even glued to a body. Binding is much easier too. That doesn't mean it'll be cheap though :)