Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a pickup....

51m0n

Evening all,

Looks like I have a need for a pickup for Plux's upright, the probability of him getting involved in a big band now quite high and he will need to be amplified to have any chance of being heard against the horns. I know next to nothing about db pickups, other than they are a dark art at best. So I would love to hear some recommendations, and as usual if it costs less than an arm and a leg that would be rather super!

Cheers all....

I've had most makes and models over the years and would recommend the Bassmax as a simple, effective option that doesn't require precise fitting or a preamp (depending on what you are plugging into).

Bassace on here had one for sale recently.

There are plenty of threads on here discussing p'ups, good luck!

and I declare this can of worms open... :)

OK so you need to ask yourself the following questions:

what type of strings are being used? Steel, Gut, Nylon

how will I amplify the bass? volume needed? size and proximity of amp? amp only/amp and FOH/FOH only? PreAmp or not?

What's more imporant - volume or tone? Do you need volume/tone adjustment on your bass or not?

Do you mind making a permenant change to your bass to fit the p up?

There's probably a load more you need to ask to get your perfect solution or just get a bassmax and a platinum pro :)

Schatten RB1 is a great pickup, very loud, very feedback resistant, easy fit, not that expensive and i dont need to use a pre amp with it.

straight into a Mark Bass and Bergantino, i went through every pickup out there, the only other one that came close was the TM from the states, Underwood was good too tho

I've said before, four basses and four Underwoods. But yes, I have a brand new Bassmax for sale but right now can't remember how much I was asking. I'll scroll down the ads and try and find it.

Edit - £80 posted

Edited by bassace

Guys, thanks so much for the insightful comments, I shall keep my eyes peeled for any and all of the abpve and we shall make our way through them until we get 'the one' or at least something that doesnt make his rather lovely bass sound like the slapping of a dying fish.....

:)

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1318724740' post='1405663']
I have tried the following Shadow , (underwood copy) Rev solo and Fishman full circle.
or these three I would recommend
Fishman Full circle. Quality sound , no feedback issues,
[/quote]

Can totally endorse this. Bought mine from Mr Spangles, sound is top class and I haven't had a feedback problem yet. Which is almost a pity since I've got a Kent Armstrong mag fitted as a backup in case I have bad feedback probs, and I haven't yet had a chance to show off my impressive belt and braces boy scout be-prepared act.

I have a couple of bassmax, a couple of realists a full circle and a golden bullet mic - and i think the thing i've learnt is that, like strings, it depends a lot on the bass - for example, i've tried the bassmax and the realist on a few different basses and while they both sound great on the right bass, they both sound truly awful on the wrong one!

Try and borrow and experiment if at all possible... in fact i might be able to help out there if you want... drop me a pm.

Cheers,
Daf

Right thought I ought to update this.

Daf has been immensely kind and posted a few pickups to me to try out, a Bassmax, a Fishman and another K&K jobbie (the name escapes me).

And we have a winner, the Bassmax on this bass just sounds superb, pizz is pretty much the bass but louder, arco needs a slight adjustment to the eq to deal with a little scratiness, but its close enough given the nature of the material for which it needs amplification for it to be completely acceptable. I'm sold!

So, a massive and very heartfelt thank you to Daf for saving me endless hours of trying to recall what sounded like what in a continual part-ex cycle of doom. You are, as they say, the man....

Bassmax, great pick up
Once you've settled for that style of wing piezo they all sound pretty similar, and very easy to use and dial in.
They all have subtle differences that suit different basses and different ears and different playing styles.
Underwood
Shadow
Schatten
Planet
Revolution Solo
TM...

you might end up trying them all eventually.
I settled on Bassmax for a long time, then I switched to Underwood for simplicity and transparency of tone.
Currently running 3 Underwoods on 3 basses, and a Bassmax on one.
I'm about to try a Planet now,...