Why become a member? ×

Hugh Cornwell of the Stranglers' bassist's gear / sound

The Dark Lord

I know a load of bass players on here are fans of The Stranglers and Jean Jacques Burnel's bass sound. Me, I still love 'em, but I'm also very keen on the material being produced by ex guitarist/frontman Hugh Cornwell.

He's been playing with a bassist lately called Steve Fishman - previously with Paul McCartney.

My question is this. He has a wicked bass sound. Really deep and rumbly using a P bass, but I'm not sure if it is a Fender? It sounds vaguely Jazz bass like.

Also, do you know what amp and cabbage he uses?

Check 'em out at this link - skip straight to 28 mins 23 secs to see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsv5K94wOO8

• Like 1

...Red cabbage for me!....

I think the head looks a bit like a Peavey T Max.... He seems to use various Peavey amps & a Hughes & kettner too, on other vids I've seen on YouTube ..
the layout of that head looks a bit like .. ... but with some of the graphic knobs
missing!...(!?)

Defo looks like a jazz pup at the bridge....

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1318462001' post='1402620']
His previous bassman, Steve Lawrence used a Burns, and he had a cracking tone - especially on the 'Dirty Dozen' album.
[/quote]
Yeah. I have never seen a clip of Steve Lawrence, but I have heard him play on No More Heroes .... on Hugh's Live and Kicking album. No idea what gear he was using on that - but he sounds great. In fact, that is my all-time fave version of No More Heroes.

Edited by mercuryl

• 12 years later...

Bass Amigos,  Its Steve Fishman aka Steve Lawrence here. Someone asked about my gear and sound with Hugh. Missed this one by a decade or two. Its P bass for me and even the Burns bison (UK c.1980) is a PJ . Most of my basses have had J pickups (added before I found them) but I use the P pickup only as a general rule.  I still have the Peavey Max but last several years have been using a Genz Benz Streamliner a lot. Theyre great but I dont love the eq with 3 fixed (not my fave) frequencies prolly to sound SVT-like SVT isnt my 1st choice. I endorsed PV and have a couple of T40s and a Midibass. I also have a cool vintage Carlsbro 200W valve amp for loud bands. Im currently doing projects incl Glen Matlock & The Maestros w Clem Burke and Gilby Clarke  and Intergalactic (post psych postpunk). Im gonna try to look on this a bit more often.  Love to all bottomly people!! XX

Steve      https://epi5050.com/musician

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3