Why become a member? ×

Shor Scale Basses

Beefyeggo

Hi... despite having large hands I have short (stumpy??) fingers and think a shorter scale neck would suit me. My current bass (Cort) has a 34" bridge to nut scale.

I have been offered a Westone Thunder 1A active bass with case which seems in good condition. Can anyone advise if these basses were indeed short scale, and if so what the scale is?

I have done what homework I can and they seem to be very well regarded for the price bracket (£100) but I can'tr find the scale listed anywhere.

Grateful for your help.

Rob

If you want to try one on the cheap, pick up a used Bronco.

I've tried the short scale Squier Jags with the PJ config. Felt nice and some good reviews out there, at least for the P bass tone. The jazz pup seems to lack a bit.

Also tried a Cort action Jr. Nice bass.

I had a Bronco and swapped the bridge to a cheap high mass one and put an Artec hot rail strat pup in with new pots and cap. It roared, almost too much, but the upgrades cost £25 and transformed it.

The new Squier Mustang shorty also looks nice but a bit pricey for a Bronco with a different bridge and pup.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1318238800' post='1399443']
If you want to try one on the cheap, pick up a used Bronco.
I had a Bronco and swapped the bridge to a cheap high mass one and put an Artec hot rail strat pup in with new pots and cap. It roared, almost too much, but the upgrades cost £25 and transformed it.
[/quote]
+1 on the Bronco. I wouldn't even bother with a new bridge - just a pickup, setup and some decent strings.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1318248963' post='1399624']
I dunno man, the bridge on the Bronco is pitiful and can be hard to intonate perfectly.
[/quote]
Well it's certainly an object lesson in penny pinching. I would spend money on a better pickup before I spent it on a bridge, but that said, my choice of setup/strings doesn't give me much in the way of intonation problems. The Mustang bridge with the built in mutes would be a very cool addition if you could find one.