Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's like a 5 string Stingray without being one....??

thepurpleblob

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1317926987' post='1396431']

That was the subject of a looong thread on talkbass. The outcome was a war between the EBMM fanbois and anybody else who would dare ask anything... of course, then some EBMM haters would add some spice to the pot, and you get a big bunch of nothing at all.

It ended up as an exercise to set up a thread to say "see? nobody wants really a 19mm Stingray". :)
[/quote]
A cluster**** wouldn't begin to describe it.

Warwick Fortress Masterman 5.
Ok, no series/parallel/single coil modes or mid EQ,
BUT..... The two coils can be panned between (works nicely, almost "P" at the one extreme, "MM" in the middle, and heading for "J" at the other extreme.
The 2x2EQ (bass/treble per coil) is perfectly intuitive, and gives nice variation on a good core tone.
Maple body, so nice and bright.
Balances properly due to loooong top horn.
And it has adjustable string spacing...

I sold my fretless 'Ray 5 for a fretted one, half-knowing I'd like it. I was not wrong.
One catch. Second-hand only, unless you want to pay Warwick custom shop prices!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1317844091' post='1395398']

What will give me similar tones, in a five string with 4 string-esque spacing? Any offers?

[/quote]

Ibanez ATK 5 String. They have wide string spacing, and get as close to a Stingray tone as anything I've played (other than a Stingray!).

This is not for everybody... but this is a way I'm going about this.

I happened to find a very nice to play 5-string bass, wide string spacing... it looked good and was also cheap. It's a Squier Jazz V DeLuxe.
Pretty decent.
The 2-band EQ is not my favourite, but it works. The slap switch is not something I particularly like, but it's there. Pickups are alright, if nothing special. It has all the hallmarks for a bass to have fun with with a couple of mods. Don't get me wrong, it works fine as it is... but you just know it can get much better very easily.

I noticed it didn't sound exactly jazz bass like. I am talking mostly about the bridge pickup, which is what I play mostly. Then I noticed that it's not at the usual Jazz spot, but a bit towards the neck. I measured it and it's in fact right at the Stingray MM spot. That made sense, for it did have a certain Stingrayesque type of tone.

So my plans for it are: 5-string Seymour Duncan alnico SMB5A pickup. I love the 4-string version. Of course the SMB5A is made for a narrower string spacing... but I contacted SD and it's not crazy expensive to get them to make a 19mm spacing (which is what the Squier has got) SMB5A equivalent. Make a template with plywood, and cut the route... There.
Then, I will change one day the preamp. I'm thinking about getting a Stingray 2EQ clone made (I have the printed board and component list), and buy John East's midsweep module. The switch could be reused as a bypass switch, or maybe a parallel/series switch for the humbucker.

It seems like a bit of work, but nothing too hard... and the bass is so cheap that it makes the final result look very attractive (to me), as we're still talking not much money, it's a bass that I already enjoy playing (if a bit heavy), and it'll really be unique :)

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1317850707' post='1395529']
Lakland 55-02 has 19mm spacing, like you I can't really get on with narrow spacing. Give the Lakland a shot.
[/quote]

+100 or so... I used to play Spectors, but didn't like the spacing and they didn't sound at all like a fender or MM, which was what I needed. I tried a 55-02 in a shop a few years ago and dismissed them as the thing had appalling action, but tried another in January, and have now replaced 2 x spectors with 2 x 55-02's, one sunburst DLX and one Standard in ash. They are lovely basses, give them a go!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1317937508' post='1396557']
Depends how close you want it? The Lakland 55-02 is nice but they don't sound as Ray as you would think.
[/quote]

True, but better than most basses that aren't a Ray :) , and when you want Jazz or a whole bunch of other sounds they're all there too! Because you can split the bridge pickup its incredibly versatile

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1318067288' post='1397722']
Nothing else sounds quite like that big growl punch of an SR5... nothing ive come across anyway..
[/quote]

There is only one bass that sounds like a 5 string Stingray without being one......a 4 string Stingray :) even that has its own debate about pre ceramic alnico,ceramic and 2008 onwards Alnico again!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1317850080' post='1395523']
Status Groove 5 string.

[/quote]

Statii are among the few 5-ers that have decently wide spacing at the nut.