Why become a member? ×

Squier 51 precision dilemma

buff

Recently bought myself a butterscotch 51, such a fantastic bass for the money. The problem I'm finding is that even though it's got a prototype wizard in it, which sounds fantastic. It just gets lost in the mix at gig time. So as i now realize
I'm only happy with a normal P pick up or jazz arrangement, find a humbucker to fit or stick another single coil in the bridge position. Which should give me a jazz set up. But something like a pair of g&l mfd pick ups would look cool.

Edited by buff

Wizard would have not been my choice of replacement pickup, also... I need to ask this: last year I asked Wizard if they did do a replacement pickup for the single coil old style tele bass and they got all arsey on me saying "NO! there's not a big demand for those, so we are not doing them" I thought... well f*** you very much! and thanks for nothing. I'll look elsewhere. So I did.

Are you sure it's a wizard? Anyways, I've had 2 of those Squier 51 and I have tried them with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound which was the most powerful (perhaps a tad too much) and with great presence on all frequencies and then a Lollar which was very nice and vintagey but not so powerful and finally on my last 51 Squier I fitted a split coil (hum cancelling) Lindy Fralin which was the best of both worlds, seriously present, loud enough and really woke up every single ounce of resonant wood in that body. It was xpensive but worth it.

I do not think that the bass gets lost in the mix. I pressume your ears try to find the bass sound in the mix, where you are used to find it.
I had the same "problem" while i switch from vintage p basses to a 68 tele. The play different roles soundwise, are located different in the mix.
The sc is not so aggressive, is more restrained than the splitcoil. I love them both

Edited by 73Jazz

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1317548548' post='1391626']
If it's getting lost in the mix then you need more mids - try boosting low mids a chunk.

G.
[/quote]

+1

I also have a Squier CV51, with the original pickup, and I don't find it gets lost at all. No more than a P-bass. I think the CV51 cuts through a bit better actually.
I have now put flats in it (D'Addario Chromes) and it's got a lot more thump but still lots of presence. It does not sound clear like a Stingray can, or a bridge pickup Jazz... it sounds like a different bass... but it's there deep and powerful. Do not give up yet and persevere. Maybe you find it's really not your thing, and that's ok, but perhaps you just need to get used to it and learn hwo it sounds and how it fits in the mix.

I love the CV51.

[quote name='73Jazz' timestamp='1317556330' post='1391706']
The sc is not so aggressive, is more restrained than the splitcoil. I love them both
[/quote]

Maybe in standard form but my Warmoth with quarter pounder (quarter pounder for sale soon) would take your head off without so much as a by your leave

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317549507' post='1391639']Wizard would have not been my choice of replacement pickup, also... I need to ask this: last year I asked Wizard if they did do a replacement pickup for the single coil old style tele bass and they got all arsey on me saying "NO! there's not a big demand for those, so we are not doing them" I thought... well f*** you very much! and thanks for nothing. I'll look elsewhere. So I did. Are you sure it's a wizard? Anyways, I've had 2 of those Squier 51 and I have tried them with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound which was the most powerful (perhaps a tad too much) and with great presence on all frequencies and then a Lollar which was very nice and vintagey but not so powerful and finally on my last 51 Squier I fitted a split coil (hum cancelling) Lindy Fralin which was the best of both worlds, seriously present, loud enough and really woke up every single ounce of resonant wood in that body. It was xpensive but worth it.[/quote]

Yes its definately a wizard pick up, phoned them last week to see if maybe the could do a rewind. And was informed they had a prototype one in the making, if i sent mine up they'd compare it size wise against what they had. And either rewind mine or send me one of the prototype ones. They had done me a thumper for my squier jag, and i was really pleased with that pick up. Plus i knew if i explained what i wanted, they'd advise me on it.

Im not saying its Not sounding clear, but it does disapear a little in the mix. Its probably my ears a little also, as i used a jazz for so long. I guess im used to the two pick up sound. Having said that i bet it would sound great with two single coil's in it.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1317567592' post='1391811']

Maybe in standard form but my Warmoth with quarter pounder (quarter pounder for sale soon) would take your head off without so much as a by your leave
[/quote]

You do not need a quarter pounder for this;)
all standard bass in this short playalong
[url="http://www.youplayalong.com/video/ab04ec68e4991e5/Ready-and-Willing--Whitesnake-free-playalong"]http://www.youplayal...-free-playalong[/url]

What i meant is,It is more where the bass is in the mix and where you are you used to "look" for it
sorry if this was misunderstanding

Edited by 73Jazz

Agree with 73Jazz. When I got mine, I was used to using a Gibson Les Paul bass, so had to re-do the whole eq. Once I`d found "my" sound, it wasn`t really any different to the LP.. I only put the QP in as I was in that "have to mod" phase.

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1317592165' post='1392246']
Got any pic's to post up :)
[/quote]

No, but I'll try to get some. It also has a custom black pearl pick guard and BadAss III bridge. I'm fitting a three-way switch similar to the G&L L2000 set up so you can have either neck or bridge pickup or both if you want to go all mellow..... lovely.

I'll have to put it all back together for the pics so don't expect them too quickly.

Frank.