Why become a member? ×

Time to rationalise?

Kiwi

OK here's my thing.

Its fair to say I've got a bit of kit. I bought most of it in anticipation of using it either live or recording at some point. I'm not using it though and I've reached a point where I've started to wonder whether I will. The band scene in the earthquake striken city where I am is mostly pub based and the rock orientated set lists haven't changed in 20 years which is a bit...disturbing and disappointing too.

I don't plan on leaving NZ until the global economic situation picks up which could be 5 or 10 years maybe, assuming a new financial world order hasn't asserted itself by then which could mean that NZ is a better location anyway.

I don't use 4 strings much, but I like having access to them if the mood to listen to them strikes me. If I gig its normally with one bass, I would take the '00 Spector since I've modded it for gigging. Love the sound of the rest of my basses but just feel they don't get used enough.

Same goes for amps, love the Shuttle 6.0 when I'm feeling lazy and the rack sounds great in stereo. I'll keep the MIDI rig until I've satisfied myself whether I can make it work (waiting for a piece of kit to arrive). But the Trace V8 is a rock amp through and through, and I've never felt satisfied playing rock.

Some of you have already been through this rationalisation process, did you make the cull or cave in?

PS: The Alembic and Shuker are staying with me to my grave. The Spector WILL probably stay with me because its so highly customised.

I think you need to decide what is of the most value - either the sentimental or practical value of having the kit to hand; or having the cash in your hand. It's not the best time to sell, it would seem, which would pose a challenge - unless you need the cash now, there may be better times to go to market and maximise the money you can make from the sales.

Of course, that then begs the question of what you will do with that cash, and whether you're really trying to ride out the global financial storm - people often have good intentions with saving, which the For Sale section does it's best to derail :)

you're thinking backwards. "do i have daftly too many basses more than I need esp when theres not much of a vibrant music scene to use them in"

think instead - "I can make some of the most exciting original music in the area - and I have the tools to do it."