Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day - TC 450 Classic

Low End Bee

Thanks to Danweb22 I now have a new toy.
It'll be very interesting to compare to my Orange Terror.

I bought it because:

1. Having no back up amp makes me nervous.
2. I already have TC cabs and love them.
3. The DI on the OTB is very hit and miss at PA assisted venues.
4. I only needed 3 reasons to buy a new toy.

Home playing is encouraging. But tells me nothing really. Rehearsal on Thursday and a PA gig on Saturday will be a true test.

Looks lovely. Like a heavy duty ipod dock.

Update. Rehearsed on Thursday with it through just one RS112 as a mini rig. I'd forgotten how to use an amp that has an EQ that makes a difference. A bit of fiddling and I got there. Sounded great in the mix and pretty easy to get close to my OTB sound. Happy.
Gig on Saturday. Grey Horse in Kingston. Medium sized room. Used it with the RS210 and RS112. Had to fiddle with the EQ again to match the room. It's feels ultra sensitive compared to other amps I've used. This is a good thing. Fairly easy to get it right. Went DI to the desk as well. Sound man had no problems with the signal.
I let Ollie/blackmn90 use it as well. Pleased he bought a Precision as I was using mine. It sat perfectly in the mix with his band. It was up against two Marshall half stacks too.
Sounded good on stage and I got some nice 'bass sounded good' comment post gig. Handled the treble roll off for our dub song with ease. Very impressed. Wondering if I need the OTB at all now!

Edited by Low End Bee

Does the TC head give that thickness in tone that the OTB does? All the TC gear looks impressive, but from experience ive always been a little sceptical about digital stuff. Ive had my terror bass around half a year now, and while I like the fat tone I can get, I find the gain quite honky and could do with some better EQ in situations.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1317641609' post='1392535']
Had to fiddle with the EQ again to match the room. It's feels ultra sensitive compared to other amps I've used. This is a good thing. Fairly easy to get it right.
[/quote]

This is what I've found with mine.

I use it absolutely flat or maybe a little in the lower or upper mids. Really not much though. The EQ points are REALLY sensitive. Again, as you say, not a bad thing.

I never gigged with my OTB but rehearsed it a few times, enough to realise now that IMHO the TC is SOOOOOOOO much more flexible tonally that the OTB.

T

True. It's very handy all this frequency shaping and it really works.

In the OTB's defence. If you're not cutting through a little nudge on the master volume seems to be all you need....

The TC is definitely going to lose an outright volume war.

I think I'll keep both. The TC for DI assisted venue gigs and the OTB for the pubs and non DI stuff.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1317912115' post='1396141']
In the OTB's defence. If you're not cutting through a little nudge on the master volume seems to be all you need....
[/quote]

Tonally, people have likened it to a one-trick pony but my, my, what a great trick. I really regret getting rid of mine before I'd even used it live.

Silly really.

T

All the above comments reflect my experience with both the OTB, and the Classic. OTB insanely loud, Classic very versatile, mainly used with flat eq, and adjust mids to suit location. 2 great amps you have there Low End Bee.

• 1 month later...

A little update. My favourite thing to do now is use my Sansamp in front of the TC with my recording setting and tweak the TC for the room like a having a very good EQ pedal.. I quite like the compressor. Think it works well on low dial settings. The portability of an the Classic and an RS112 for rehearsals is great. I'm still loving the fact when I turn up for a PA gig the DI just works really well.

Next gig up I'm not going through the PA and I'm looking forward to releasing the OTB on the audience.

I like this having two amps thing.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1321448750' post='1439225']
A little update. My favourite thing to do now is use my Sansamp in front of the TC with my recording setting and tweak the TC for the room like a having a very good EQ pedal.. I quite like the compressor. Think it works well on low dial settings. The portability of an the Classic and an RS112 for rehearsals is great. I'm still loving the fact when I turn up for a PA gig the DI just works really well.

Next gig up I'm not going through the PA and I'm looking forward to releasing the OTB on the audience.

I like this having two amps thing.
[/quote]

Do you DI pre or post EQ? Im a post kinda guy meself

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='deej' timestamp='1317853432' post='1395566']
Does the TC head give that thickness in tone that the OTB does? All the TC gear looks impressive, but from experience ive always been a little sceptical about digital stuff. Ive had my terror bass around half a year now, and while I like the fat tone I can get, I find the gain quite honky and could do with some better EQ in situations.
[/quote]

Your OTB has a switched mode PSU and a class D power section - that makes it pretty much as "digital" as any other amp ...

Edited by bassman7755

• 1 month later...

Update. 3 and a half months and a few gigs later.
DI works excellently and that was what I needed from a second amp.
I've only just got to grips with getting the most out of the EQ. After being a mid cut merchant I've been boosting the low mids more and more recently along with a bit of other faffing. A tiny touch of the compressor too. I don't care what anyone says I like the onboard one knob one on here as much as I've loathed them on other amps. Tubetone is also set fairly high :)
As Happy Jack said "It's a god awful buzz saw sound that you wouldn't want to hear on its own but it works really well in a band mix." I think that was a compliment.
Really easy to transport in its little man bag too.
I still have a lot of time for my Terror. If I don't need DI I know I can just turn it on and play without any fiddling and it will sound great.