Why become a member? ×

How much louder is the RH450

charic

The difference is mainly due to the fact you have another cab...when it comes to 'how loud', if they are vertical, it appears louder than a normal 4x10.

I rarely use them vertically, only when its a good safe stage. Otherwise, I put them horizontal like a 4x10.
I can get away with one RS210 for quite a lot of gigs I currently play, or just DI and no amp!

It will be twice as loud?
Double the speaker double the amount of air. The rh450 will only have to push half as hard to achieve the same loudness as 1 rs210.

Your problem isn't really loudness its where you are in relation to hearing the cab.

Personally, I either tilt the cab back and try and stand far enough away to hear it, or I have a headphone amp that can use the effects loop or preamp out on head. A little unsightly but if you have to stand right ontop of your amp its not much of a problem.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1317020825' post='1385429']
It will be twice as loud?
Double the speaker double the amount of air. The rh450 will only have to push half as hard to achieve the same loudness as 1 rs210.

Your problem isn't really loudness its where you are in relation to hearing the cab.

Personally, I either tilt the cab back and try and stand far enough away to hear it, or I have a headphone amp that can use the effects loop or preamp out on head. A little unsightly but if you have to stand right ontop of your amp its not much of a problem.
[/quote]
Doubling the speakers does move twice the amount of air but your ears work logarithmically, so you don't perceive that as twice as loud.

It'll give you an extra 3dB, plus about 2dB from the increased power from the amp. So around 5dB in all - a useful increase in volume. Twice the volume would be an increase of 10dB.

~5dB. Although 10dB increase is twice the sound intensity it isn't always twice as loud because of our ears being so non-linear - at typical band volume and with bass guitar being skewed towards the lows an increase of 10dB can sound like quite a lot more than twice as loud.

Note how the gap between the 80 and 100 phon curves is 20dB at 1kHz but down at 100Hz it's about 14dB. So when pushing an RS210 hard and then pushing two RS210s hard, the 5dB increase is going to sound more like 7dB.

So you'll get more low-mids and lows because of the cabs coupling at low frequencies and gaining sensitivity, you'll hear more of the high-mids and treble because of your ears being closer to on-axis, and your ears will think there's been an even bigger increase in the lows because of their Fletcher-Munson curve.

Dont forget to add in the perceived iuncrease in volume you will get from the top cab being closer to ear level (esp vertically).

Not only is it literally closer to your ear, but you are also more 'on axis' with the driver, meaing you will get the mid top and hi frequencies significantly better as they disperse less (higher frequencies are more directional).

So you get more voume where youear hears best closer to you, you turn the entire rig down, so out front it sounds right to the audience, and up close for you it dominates the mix just how you need it to as a bassist.

The point here really is that you arer loud enough already. While another 210 will help with on stage monitoring its a lot of dough to go towards something you'll only benifit from.

Better to spend the time and energy into looking at how to make sure you get the best monitoring onstage.

If I'm struggling the sound guy will put low end into the foldbacks and ill turn up the mids or cut the lows.

I'm never truely happy with onstage sound unless I'm totally relying on my cab for sound and I'm able to turn it up. But at th e end of the day as long as the sound out front is good it doesn't matter.

Looks like it'll be worth it tbh :)

I already knew a fair bit about this but I had a few doubts. Basically it IS going to be a fair bit louder and it will SEEM a LOT louder :) Perfect!

If they want to take a DI from my amp fine but I'll put my foot down if they give me a bloody behringer DI box as they wont get anywhere near MY sound :)