Why become a member? ×

Warwick Fretless does not sound fretless :(

Linus27

I have three fretless basses, an ESP Jazz, a Stingray and now a Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman. All three have roundwound strings and are played pretty much with flat settings. My ESP 400 Series Jazz sounds totally amazing. Tones of mwah, sustain, vibrato and the full fretless thing down to a tee. The Stingray also sounds great and as a fretless should. My Warwick on the other hand has no mwah what so ever but sounds great but just like a fretted bass. Even if I try to accentuate some vibrato, not a lot happens. Sliding up and down to notes is also so very subtle. Don't get me wrong, the bass sounds totally amazing with lots of punch and growl as Warwicks do but it sounds just like a fretted bass, its so very weird.

Is this normal for a Warwick or for some fretless basses? Would different strings make a big difference? I could possibly post some sound clips to show the difference.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1316645931' post='1381026']
Yeah, that's about it.

You wanna get it low enough for a *slight* buzz, but not enough to choke the string off.
[/quote]

Excellent, thank you. I will have a play tomorrow and report back.

Cheers for the help everyone.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1316642158' post='1380968']
...Is this normal for a Warwick or for some fretless basses? Would different strings make a big difference? ...
[/quote]
I've got a few Warwick fretlesses (fretlei? :)) and they all certainly sound like a fretless should - I can get all the mwah I want out of them. I use TI flats now, but even when they had rounds on they still had the sound. So I'd guess it has to be in the set-up, like the others have said.

Well I managed to lower the strings and it did improve the fretless mwah a little. However, I would like the strings to be even lower but I have lowered the nut and bridge as much as possible and straighted the neck as much as possible and I personally can't get the strings any lower. So for me, the next step is take it to an expert.

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1317110331' post='1386715']
Maybe try some flatwounds...?
[/quote]

Really not a fan of flatwoulds. The bass came with a set of La Bella Deep Talkin flats and it sounded horrible and I have tried other flats on other basses and they just sound and feel horrible to my ears :)