Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fenderbird in da house!

Muzz

OK, so I've been well and truly bitten by the modding bug, and escalating from pickup/bridge replcement to neck swaps, so I guess a Fenderbird was always on the cards :)

Anyway, I picked up a Roadworn/Mojo'd/Reliced* Korean Epi Thunderbird, and spent, ooh, all of a day playing it before I decided to Fenderbird it. I had a Mighty Mite P neck lying around (OK, it was bolted to my Ryder-P, but that's a long-termer), so I took them both to Steve at PMT, who routed the neck pocket of the Epi (I didn't want the neck modding - it's been on four different basses now, and may well end up on another) to fit. He's done a fantastic job, the fit's pretty much airtight - don't know how much you can see from the pics, but it's better than some very expensive basses I've had.

Anyway, it's fantastic, can't believe it's taken me so long to get one of these. The pickups will need replacing at some point, but I'm talking to Andy at Wizard about that, and the bridge may even change, but for now I love it as it is. Rawk n Roll... :)

[attachment=89623:DSCF0458.JPG]

[attachment=89625:DSCF0461.JPG]

[attachment=89624:DSCF0459.JPG]

* Delete as appropriate

Just back from rehearsing with this, and it plays just fine - neck dive is gone (strap button moved) and the weight is just under 9lbs, so it's comfortable to wear for a time. Pickups will have to go, though - my Wizard-equipped FrankenP puts it to shame. I need a Hipshot Detuner, too (see my BT1 For Trade topic if you've got one). The Lull ones would cost several times what the bass stands me at now, so possibly not, although I do like the chrome thing. We'll see what Andy at Wizard comes up with, otherwise it might be EMGs.

Very, very pleased with it, tho :)